Track and field hosts meet at Valley Fields

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.

Marquette hosted its first track and field meet of the year, welcoming University of Wisconsin-Parkside and Cardinal Stritch University to Valley Fields Friday afternoon.

Freshman Ben Konopka said the meet had a bit of a different feel than normal.

“This meet was a little more toned down,” Konopka said. “But it was still good competition and now we can use this and move forward.”

The meet had events in the Marquette Gym and Shimek Track and Field until everyone came to Valley for the final events, which included a Senior Day ceremony.

Multiple athletes and head coach Bert Rogers said supporters are the ones who make hosting a meet fun.

“The energy of being at home is awesome,” senior Mary Hanson said. “Having our friends and families there supporting us is a lot of fun.”

Konopka said having his family there was an enjoyable experience.

With their families at the meet, both Hanson and Konopka had successful days. Konopka set another record in his first season by running the fourth fastest hurdles in school history at 14.62 seconds. It was another part of a successful freshman season for Konopka.

“Ben’s had a great first year,” Rogers said. “Good race after good race. I’m looking forward to watching what else he has in store.”

Konopka said he has high goals for himself along with his teammates.

“I’m looking to win (the) BIG EAST (title),” Konopka said. “Whatever time that is, that’s what I want.”

Meanwhile, Hanson won the women’s 1500-meter race with a time of 4:40:01, which was the longest run in this meet.

“This was kind of another ‘rust-buster,'” Hanson said. “We all had to adjust to moving our legs that fast again.”

Rogers recognized the 30 seniors in their final year of eligibility, handing yellow flowers to each athlete. He said it was a really nice moment for his team.

“What a senior class,” Rogers said. “So much success, all the awards on the track and in the classroom.”

Marquette’s next meet in Milwaukee will be April 24, but the team’s next meet is at the University of Illinois Saturday.