Project GO Grant renewed for next three years

Members+of+ROTC+will+participate+in+Project+GO.+
Members of ROTC will participate in Project GO.

Marquette University’s Project GO Grant has been renewed through 2021. The initiative is through the Department of Defense, which allows the university’s Office of International Education to send up to 18 ROTC students to an eight-week summer Arabic language program in Oman. In 2019, the university will receive $300,000 to continue funding the program, according to a university news brief.  

The initiative aims to improve not only Arabic language skills and knowledge of the Omani culture, but also intercultural communication skills of future military officers. The program provides full scholarships to those participating, and students can earn eight to 10 credits over the course of the program.

Students from all over the country are recruited to participate. It is open to all undergraduate ROTC cadets and midshipmen (contracted or not contracted) from any discipline that are enrolled in an accredited U.S. college or university. Those without prior experience in the Arabic language are invited to participate in an online pre-program taught by Marquette professors.

The award will build on two previous ones and will bring the program into its ninth year. The grant will also go towards the Middle East and North Africa studies within the College of Arts & Sciences.

OIE Director Terence Miller is the principal investigator for the program, while Education Abroad Coordinator Ericka Schmidt is the program coordinator, and Assistant Professor of Arabic Enaya Othman is the academic director.

“I am very pleased that Marquette University is one of the few nationwide educational institutions to receive this important grant,” Othman said. “Project GO study abroad in Oman is a transformative experience that leaves a lifelong imprint on future officers, diplomats, and government officials. It offers participating students — tomorrow’s leaders — the opportunity to learn Arabic and appreciate Arab culture through language immersion and daily interaction with Omanis.”

Applications for summer 2019 are due Jan. 18, 2019.