University receives $700K NSF grant to acquire supercomputing cluster

The National Science Foundation provided a grant to Marquette for an updated supercomputing cluster. Marquette Wire stock photo.

Marquette University received a $681,425 grant from the National Science Foundation to help acquire a supercomputing cluster that is more powerful than the university’s current system, according to a news release Monday.

According to the release, installation is expected to begin in early 2019. The university installed the current system in the late 2000s.

The chemistry department obtained the NSF grant.

“This new cluster is a major investment in research infrastructure, and will have a profound impact on research at Marquette,” Qadir Timerghazin, an associate professor of chemistry, said in the release. “Computational methods are becoming more and more important, and this cluster will be used by researchers throughout campus.”

Rajendra “Raj” Rathore, a chemistry professor who died in February 2018, enlisted Timerghazin and another chemistry professor, Scott Reid, to complete the application for funding. Rathore became ill and was hospitalized in January, a few days before the grant application he nearly completed was due.

In his 2015 presidential address, University President Michael Lovell set a goal for the university to double its research from 2015 to 2020.