John James Pauly, Jr., has died at age 69

On Saturday August 11, 2018, John James Pauly, Jr. passed away at the age of 69 at his home in Milwaukee, WI. Pauly became the Dean of the J. William and Mary Diederich College of Communication in 2006, before accepting the position of University Provost in 2008.

John James Pauly, Jr., passed away at the age of 69 at his home in Milwaukee August 11. Pauly became dean of the College of Communication in 2006, before accepting the position of university provost in 2008.

A native of Chicago, Pauly attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. There he earned a B.S. in Communications (1972), an M.S. in Journalism (1974) and a Ph.D. in Communications (1979).

Pauly stepped down as university provost in June of 2013, returning to teach journalism and media studies classes in the College of Communication.

On August 4, 1973, he married Lindsey (Thompson) Pauly. They raised two children, Kevin and Melanie. Pauly was a distinguished professor in communications at several institutions, including serving as the Chair of the Department of Communications at Saint Louis University from 1993-2002.

He is survived by wife his wife, children, sister Carol, brother David, uncles Louis and James and a number of nieces and nephews.

Clara Janzen, Executive News Editor

Clara is the Executive News Editor for the Marquette Wire. She is a Junior with majors in Journalism and Political Science, and a minor in Theology. She...

1 Comment

One Response to “John James Pauly, Jr., has died at age 69”

1. Jeanette Grider, Sr. Media Specialist, Saint Louis University on August 14th, 2018 10:40 am

Hi, Clara

I’m working on an obituary story about Dr. Pauly for our internal publication at SLU. The photo in your story is so joyful that I wanted to see if we could have permission to use in ours. If so, could I get a high res version and photo credit.

He was before my time at SLU but I’ve heard some wonderful things about him.

Thanks.
    Jeanette

Jeanette Grider, Sr. Media Specialist
    Saint Louis University
    Office of Marketing and Communications
    DuBourg Hall, Suite 101
    O: 314-977-2538
    C: 314-307-9201