Post presence helps women’s basketball steamroll Seton Hall

Photo by Kate Holstein

In its penultimate regular season game, Marquette (20-8, 14-3 BIG EAST) trounced Seton Hall (15-13, 7-10 BIG EAST) in virtually every aspect on the way to an 81-54 victory.

After a one-sided first quarter, Marquette found themselves with a 23-10 lead. Despite hitting just three of 21 3-point attempts, the Golden Eagles scored 50 points in the paint and shot over 50 percent from the field.

Marquette also dominating the rebounding battle, posting a 47-25 advantage on the glass. Junior forward Erika Davenport led the charge with 11 points and a career-high 17 rebounds.

Fellow juniors Allazia Blockton and Natisha Hiedeman led Marquette in scoring with 21 and 18 points respectively on a combined 16 of 27 from the field.

Point guard Amani Wilborn contributed in multiple facets of the game. The Milwaukee native scored 11 points, grabbed seven rebounds, dished out five assists and snatched three steals on the night.

With only one game remaining in the conference schedule, Marquette remains tied with DePaul at the top of the BIG EAST standings at 14-3.

Marquette will wrap up its regular season on Sunday at St. John’s (9-8, 16-12 BIG EAST). The game is at 1 p.m. Central time and will be televised on the BIG EAST Digital Network.