BASELINE: Marotta moves to No. 10 all-time in rebounding in Golden Eagles win

Marquette+womens+basketball+gathers+prior+to+its+game+Jan.+22+against+Seton+Hall.+
Photo by Katie Craig
Marquette women’s basketball gathers prior to its game Jan. 22 against Seton Hall.

Marquette women’s basketball came into Sunday’s matinee looking to avenge its road loss to Seton Hall earlier in the season.

Powered by a 25-3 second quarter run and a record-breaking night from senior forward Chloe Marotta, the Golden Eagles took their revenge on the Pirates.

Here is a breakdown of the Golden Eagles’ 80- 61 win:

Game MVP:

Marotta put up 19 points, five assists, two blocks and four steals, but her twelve rebounds were the story of the night.

The Mequon, Wisconsin, native officially moved into the top ten of Marquette’s all-time rebounding list, surpassing Allazia Blockton who previously held the No.10 spot on the list.

Key Stats:

• Seton Hall’s Lauren Park-Lane had just four first-half points. The 5-foot-3 guard had 31 points against Marquette in December.
  • Marquette forced 23 turnovers from Seton Hall, the most the Pirates have had in a game this season. Four Pirates ended the game with four turnovers.
  • The Golden Eagles out-assisted the Pirates 21 to 6. Junior guard Rose Nkumu led the Golden Eagles with 7 assists.
  • First-year guards Emily La Chapell and Mackenzie Hare both ended in double-digits and combined to score 35 points. It’s their highest combined points total in a game so far.

Notes:

• Hare ended the game with a career high in points with 23. Her previous high was 18.
  • Sophomore forward Makiyah Williams recorded a career high in points with nine.
  • Senior guard Jordan King was in foul trouble early and got pulled out early in the second quarter. After that point Marquette went on their 25 to 3 run.
  • Marotta also set her career high in steals today with seven.
  • Seton Hall extends their Milwaukee losing streak to 12 games. The Pirates have never won a game in Milwaukee.

Quote of the Day:

Head coach Megan Duffy said Marotta’s focus throughout her whole career has always been rebounding.

“Her first identity she loves to talk about and show us every day. She’s great rebounder,” Duffy said. “People try and put two bodies around her to box her out. Just a great night for her, having a double double and keeping a couple plays alive.”

Next Up:

Marquette (12-7, 5-5 Big East) will hang around in Milwaukee for a matchup against Xavier (7-12, 0-10 Big East) at the Al McGuire Center Jan. 25 at 7 p.m. CST.

This article was written by John Gunville. He can be reached at j[email protected] or on Twitter @GunvilleJohn.