Hundreds of students attend viewing party in jPad

Several hundred students migrated in and out of the jPad in Johnston Hall for the Democratic viewing party, waiting anxiously to hear the presidential results. Photo by Mike Carpenter/[email protected]

As Election Night commenced, hundreds of students filed into the jPad in Johnston Hall to support the democratic nominee for President, Hillary Clinton.

Several students weighed in on why they voted, why they support the Democratic Party and why this election is so pivotal.

Dave Klinger, a sophomore in the College of Communication, went to the jPad because to complete an assignment for his media writing class.

“For our assignment, we have to take terms that are tossed around during election time and apply them to our class,” Klinger said. “For example, error by media is a word that applies to our assignment because there is oftentimes errors that occur throughout the entirety of the election.”

Klinger said this election is more than just a class assignment to him.

“My parents have always involved my sister and I in the election process,” Klinger said. “I’ve never been super passionate about politics, but this election, to me, is one of the most crucial elections in the history of our country.”

Voter turnout was something that resonated with Klinger.

“I voted today because Donald Trump poses a threat to our country,” he said. “I also think Hillary has the experience and expertise to lead our country in the right direction.”

Katherine Berlin, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said this election is important to her because it was her first opportunity to cast a ballot in a presidential race.

“I’ve seen such different visions of America among each of the candidates, but I’ve noticed the democrats have the most optimistic views,” Berlin said. “My hope for tonight is that we will come to accept the results. It is at the will of the American people now, and I hope we can accept our differences in beliefs, find common ground and work together.”

Kitty Harrington, a senior in the College of Education shared her support for Clinton as it connects with her career.

“As an educator, this election is especially important to me because of its effects on my students,” she said. “A lot of them are daughters and sons of immigrants, so that’s a really important factor for their futures.”

Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump were in a tight race at the beginning of the night, especially in Florida, a swing state worth a whopping 29 electoral votes.

As the night progressed, the race remained very close.

“I’m very surprised at how close it is,” said Madison Hicks, a freshman in the College of Communication. “I came to watch at the jPad because I’m really into politics and wanted to watch this night unfold with others who are just as passionate.”

Hicks, a member of Marquette Student Government and McCormick Hall senator, voted absentee to Minnesota for her first election and said she “loved the experience,” and said it was empowering to know her voice matters.

Jose Meza, a senior in the College of Communication, was more focused on the presidential race than anything.

“The Senate race is close right now, but it’s kind of in the back of mind with how intense this presidential race is,” Meza said. “I’m very surprised that Trump might actually end up winning this election.”

A group of students were discussing the state senate race, which, though projected to be incredibly close, lost the majority of its coverage to the presidential race.

“I knew the senate vote was going to be really close, but I was surprised at the projection they just made on Wisconsin,” said Brendan Vivoda, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, after the New York Times released data that the state was leaning Republican.