Former Jesuit Residence to be used for green space

Pictured is the former Jesuit Residence that is now rubble.

With the demolition of the Jesuit Residence on West Wisconsin Avenue, students can expect to have more area to soak up the sun.

Marquette plans to put a green space in the area where the demolition occurred. The space is part of a larger master plan to create a new north common area between Schroeder Hall and the Alumni Memorial Union.  The plan involves removing the parking lot between the structures so students can spend time in a comfortable, green environment.

Project manager Kurt Young Binter described the factors that went into the decision to knock down the building, which was key in the $15 million project to create a new home for the Jesuits.

“We evaluated the usefulness of the building, the future of the building and whether it’s worth saving or not,” Binter said. “We would’ve had to update all the mechanical systems in the building and there were even some structural issues.”

Construction on the new common area should begin next summer. Binter said that the project is a few weeks behind schedule due to complications with lead-based paint that was discovered before the demolition.

“Some ceilings were removed that revealed paint on the concrete structure above that (an environmental group) tested and was found to be lead-based,” Binter said. “We had to go in and shot blast that off so it could be disposed of separately.”

Lexi Boudreau, a Schroeder Hall resident assistant and senior in the College of Engineering, said residents should not have to worry about noise from the construction this school year.

“The noise hasn’t been bad and now that the entire building is torn down it’s just a matter of disposing of old materials,” Boudreau said.

The main demolition occurred over the summer and Binter stressed that they always follow Milwaukee noise regulations.

Ewen Crunkhorn, a freshman in the College of Engineering, looks forward to the changes.

“I think the green space would be an equitable use of the area, especially if future construction plans take out some of the current green space,” Crunkhorn said.