Thaus to leave program, MU adds twin walk-ons

Steve Wojciechowski replaces walk-on Pete Thaus with twin brothers Michael and Matthew Mache.
Photo by Maggie Bean

According to a report from Matt Velazquez of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, redshirt sophomore walk-on Pete Thaus is no longer with the program. The Golden Eagles will replace Thaus with twin brothers Michael and Matthew Mache as walk-ons.

Thaus joined the program in December and no reason was given for his departure. The 6-foot-5 Mache twins played high school basketball at Glenbard West High School in Glen Ellyn, Ill. Michael became the all-time leading scorer at Glenbard West in 2012.

This marks the seventh roster change for the Golden Eagles since head coach Steve Wojciechowski’s arrival in April. The first addition came when Wojciechowski added graduate senior Matt Carlino from BYU. Months later, Todd Mayo shockingly left the program to pursue a professional career in July. Shortly after Mayo left the school, Wojciechowski added Minnesota transfer Wally Ellenson to the program.

Thaus then joined as a walk-on in early December, shortly before Deonte Burton and John Dawson transferred at the end of the program at the same time Indiana transfer Luke Fischer became eligible to play.

The addition of the Mache brothers gives Marquette 10 players, but the team will likely continue to dress only eight men for the rest of the season.