Golden Eagles blowout the Bulldogs in the Al

Photo by Xidan Zhang/xidan.zhang@marquette.edu
Photo by Xidan Zhang/[email protected]

Different arena, but same story; Luke Fischer can ball.

The redshirt sophomore scored 22 points in 22 minutes in a 83-49 blowout against Alabama A&M at the Al McGuire Center. Fischer went 8-for-8 from the field, and shot 6-for-8 from the free throw line. The 22 points set his second career-high in as many games for the Golden Eagles.

“Luke playing on the team makes all the difference,” senior Juan Anderson said. “He just changes the whole game and changes our whole team.”

“Luke makes us better in every area,” coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “His impact offensively and ability to score high percentage baskets is going to reflect on the team’s field goal percentages.”

Following close behind Fischer was junior Steve Taylor, Jr., with 16 points and Anderson scored 13. Taylor, after playing just eight minutes against Arizona State, finished with a team high 33 minutes.

“I thought it was one of Steve’s best games,” Wojciechowski said. “I think it also helps Steve at times not to be playing center. He’s able to play at a more natural position… so I think that helps him.”

The Golden Eagles stared out the game shooting a poor 2-for-7 from the field, but then went on a 10-0 run to put the lead into double digits. By the end of the first half, Marquette held a 40-20 lead.

Coming out of halftime, the Golden Eagles went on an 11-0 run, shooting a ridiculous 8-for-9 from the field. By the end of the game, Marquette shot 60.9 percent from the field, the best percentage of the season for the Golden Eagles. Much of that was aided by 23 assists on 30 made baskets for Marquette.

“We are sharing the basketball at a very high rate right now,” Wojciechowski said.

Every Golden Eagle scored at least two points in the blowout victory. Senior Derrick Wilson scored the first two points of a men’s regular season game at the Al, and that would be his only points of the game.

The Golden Eagles outrebounded the Bulldogs 32-22, the first time Marquette has outrebounded an opponent since Michigan State. It was only the second time all season Marquette had more rebounds than its opponent. Anderson led the team with seven rebounds, while Fischer and Taylor Jr. had six apiece.

“It’s encouraging. It’s been an area that’s been a real weakness for us,” Wojciechowski said. “We’ve been able to turn some weaknesses into strengths over the first part of the season, and this is something we need to turn into a strength.”

Marquette continued to dominate the paint, scoring 42 points in the lane. The Golden Eagles also made Alabama A&M pay for its mistakes, as the team screed 24 points off 15 Bulldog turnovers.

The Golden Eagles return to the Bradley Center Monday night when Marquette takes on North Dakota. Tip-off is at 8 p.m.