BIGGI: School stabbing denotes problems with attack prevention

Nick Biggi

BIGGI new1A sophomore at Franklin Regional High School in Murraysville, Pa. lashed out and stabbed 21 students and one security guard with two kitchen knives last Wednesday. This came as a shock to many, seeing as Franklin’s school district had more than 130 video cameras live streaming to police.

After every mass attack like this at schools across the country, the debate about what to do next ensues, but very little change follows. It is imperative to prepare for these incidents because of the terrifying fact that this could happen almost anywhere.

Unfortunately, the nation is going nowhere when it comes to restricting weapon laws in public facilities. In Idaho, starting in July, any former law enforcement officer, or anyone with a permit, is certified to carry weapons around public university campuses. All eight public university presidents in Idaho oppose the law.

Living in an urban environment and receiving the regular text messages from the Department of Public Safety about robberies near campus is disturbing, and it makes one wonder if something like this could happen on Marquette’s campus.

Marquette prohibits the possession of weapons in campus buildings, following state law. According to the university Weapons Policy, “DPS offers students the opportunity to store weapons in an off-campus location.” Although a private institution, the university can only ban weapons inside its buildings, not outdoors.

Interim director of DPS Russell Shaw said DPS, along with the Counseling Center, held approximately 20 presentations teaching students and faculty how to respond in the event of a shooter. Shaw also said DPS officers go through intensive training twice a year to educate them on what to do if a shooter were to be on campus.

Marquette is equipped to deal with a mass shooting or stabbing, but there is really nothing stopping people from bringing a weapon into a classroom unless they are patted down upon entering, and that is completely unrealistic.

Many argue the only way to prevent an incident like what happened in Murraysville is to put metal detectors at school entrances. While that could be appropriate for some schools, I do not think it is a necessity everywhere.

High school is a little different. It is more feasible to have metal detectors in the smaller buildings, but pundits could argue we need to put metal detectors everywhere we go. Sunday, two anti-Semites shot and killed three at a Kansas City Jewish assisted living facility. Some will argue the building should have been equipped with a metal detector to prevent this incident.

For Marquette, this is where DPS comes into play. Students complain about parties getting shut down, but I believe DPS officers on campus act as a preventative measure and are here to protect.

The idea that we have to live in constant fear is ridiculous. There are many preventative measures that can be made, including added security guards. But ultimately, it is those committing the crimes who need help, and that can’t happen when we’re in total lockdown mode.