“Cure for Cabin Fever” music series returns to Milwaukee

Tom Anthony Band
Tom Anthony Band is a regular performer at the Cure for Cabin Fever series. Photo courtesy of Tom Hemman

As an offshoot of their annual courtyard summer music series, the Italian Community Center began the “Cure for Cabin Fever” music series three years ago so Milwaukeeans could experience the excitement of live music in the winter and spring months.

“The concerts provide a break for those who are sick of the long winter,” said Tom Hemman, editor of The Italian Times. “Even our recent snow storms did not keep the guests from coming.”

ICC’s former president Joe Campagna developed the Cabin Fever Series to draw people into the ICC, which strives to celebrate the heritage and culture of Wisconsin’s Italian American community. The series runs until April 29 with jazz and blues bands performing every Tuesday and rock and roll bands every Thursday. Every band performs in the ballrooms next to the ICC’s restaurant, “Café La Scala.” The restaurant remains open during the music series so guests can enjoy dinner from a full menu featuring delicious, fresh and seasonal Italian foods, and a show for a reasonable price.

The series showcases popular local bands including six-time Wisconsin Music Industry Award winner and Grammy-nominated Reverend Raven & The Chain Smokin’ Alter Boys, as well as 1960s British rock band, The Ricochettes. Bob Hirschi & Groove Therapy is also a crowd favorite, performing covers by popular artists like Michelle Branch. Tom Anthony Group adds a Las Vegas style of entertainment to the music series, which gives guests the urge to get up and dance.

“We like to take songs that are a little older and unique that people love hearing, but most bands do not perform,” lead singer Tom Anthony said. “We want to expose people to that type of music again.”

When the Tom Anthony Group performs at the ICC on April 24, it will give audiences the opportunity to experience the foundations of the music they enjoy today. Listening to the bands that perform older songs in the series will allow younger musicians to learn something from the bands who preceded them.

“When you go to a Michael Bublé concert you will see grandmas, moms, and daughters all enjoying the same music together,” Anthony said. “That is the kind of atmosphere we are trying to provide — music that appeals to all generations.”

The ICC’s music venue provides a great indoor atmosphere with a large dance floor, so guests do not have to worry about a packed house and always have enough room to move around.

“The Thursday night bands perform anything from ’50s and ’60s rock and roll to today’s hits,” Hemman said. “Fans of jazz or blues always enjoy what the Tuesday night bands have in store.”

The Cabin Fever Series includes a wide variety of bands and music styles so everyone will be able to find something that gives them the urge to go out on the dance floor. The music series also gives the people of Milwaukee a chance to experience great live music for free.

“As a generation we are losing live music and venues for it,” Anthony said. “There is something unique about live music and a band’s interaction with people which we should all try to keep alive.”