Both tennis teams split weekend matches

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics
Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

The men and women’s tennis teams had a taxing weekend of travelling and match play. The men travelled to the east coast to take on Princeton and Penn while the women went to Western Michigan after playing host to Iowa State.

Saturday, the men fell in a hard fought match against Princeton. Marquette’s first and third doubles teams solidified the doubles point putting Marquette up 1-0. Senior Dan Mamalat defeated Thomas Colautti 6-5, 6-5 at No. 2 singles and junior Cameron Tehrani won at No. 6 singles. Mamalat and Tehrani gave Marquette its last 2 points and were also the only Marquette players to go undefeated for the day. Marquette was unable to close out the match as Princeton won the remaining 4 singles matches to win 4-3 .

Sunday, the men traveled to Pennsylvania to take on their second Ivy League competitor of the weekend. Marquette’s doubles teams of Dan Mamalat and Vukasin Teofanovic, Logon Collins and Gleb Sklyr, and Nick Dykema and Cameron Tehrani swept Penn giving Marquette its first point. The Golden Eagles defeated Penn at No.1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6 singles to claim a 5-2 win. Mamalat and Tehrani went undefeated for the second time bringing both players’ weekend record to 4-0.

Friday, the women improved their home record to 2-1 with a 5-2 win over Iowa State. The No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams defeated ISU 6-1 and 6-4 respectively to secure the doubles point. Rocio Diaz and Vanessa Foltinger won both of their singles and doubles matches and brought in a combined 3 points for Marquette. Juniors Ali Dawson and Ana Pimienta also defeated their opponents to seal the victory.

The women then traveled to Kalamazoo, Mich. for a Sunday matchup against Western Michigan. Marquette lost all three doubles matches, which set the stage for a 5-2 defeat to the Broncos. Sophomore Erin Gebes won 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 singles and junior Vanessa Foltinger defeated Kelsey King 6-2, 7-5 at No. 4 singles.

The men’s next match is Thursday at home against Wright State. The women will host both Iowa and Western Illinois on Saturday Feb. 15th for a double-header starting at 9 a.m. CST.