MU athletes win 6 titles, break 4 records

Photo by Maggie Casey
Photo courtesy of Marquette Images

Six members of the men’s and women’s track and field teams won individual titles on Friday and Saturday at the Jack Jennett Invitational in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Four athletes rewrote Marquette’s record books, breaking one school record and three freshman records.

Junior William Koeck demolished the Marquette record in the men’s weight throw with a throw of 65 feet, 11.75 inches, winning the event by more than 10 inches. Senior Bret Hardin placed fourth with a personal-best toss of 61 feet, 8.25 inches.

Two freshman swept the high jump competition. Reigning Big East Women’s Field Athlete of the Week Omo Tseumah did not disappoint, winning the women’s high jump with a jump of 5 feet, 7 inches. Oumaru Abdulahi won the men’s high jump with a freshman-record height of 6 feet, 10.75 inches. Senior Michael Saindon took second with a jump of 6 feet, 8.75 inches.

Alison Parker won the women’s 800 meter run in 2:12.20, recording a freshman record and the second best time in school history. Teammate Nicole Ethier finished fourth with a time of 2:14.79.

Joel Swanberg set a new MU freshman record in the men’s heptathlon by finishing sixth with 4266 points.

Marquette obliterated the competition in the women’s 3000 meter run, nabbing the first five spots. Sophomore Kellie Greenwood won the event in 9:58.16. She was followed by fellow sophomore Kayla Spencer (10:00.92), freshman Brittney Feivor (10:04.51), junior Elisia Meyle (10:18.81), and senior Rebecca Pachuta (10:22.84)

Sophomore Anton Rice won the men’s 600 meter run with a time of 1:21.27, while junior Brendan Franz placed fourth in the men’s 800 meter run in 1:58.05.

Senior Carlye Schuh took third in the women’s 60 meter dash with a personal-record time of 7.72 seconds. Schuh also placed second in the triple jump with a jump of 39 feet, 1 inch, but was disqualified from the long jump, where she was seeded first.

Senior Katie Kemmerer was third in the women’s 200 meter dash with a time of 25.77 seconds, while senior Kate Hein placed second in the women’s 400 meter dash in 57.45 seconds. Classmate Sarah Ball also took second in the women’s mile with a time of 5:13.92.

Other notable finishes included senior Abby Croft taking third in women’s pole vault with a height of 11 feet, 9.75 inches, junior Samantha Kennedy placing third in the women’s weight throw in a personal-best 53 feet, 1.50 inches, and senior Kristen Gaffey finishing third in the women’s shot put in 44 feet, 0.75 inches.

The Golden Eagles have two meets this weekend, one at the University of Notre Dame on Friday and Saturday, and one at UW-Parkside on Saturday.