MUSG to hold pivotal meeting

MUSG to hold pivotal meeting

Marquette Student Government will have one of its busiest nights of the semester when it convenes for its weekly senate meeting Thursday at 7:30.

MUSG will discuss club sports Student Organization Funding allocations, unanticipated student activity fee revenue disbursements and approval of a new financial vice president. In addition, Legislative Vice President Kyle Whelton, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, will also announce the appointment of a new student organizations committee chair.

Senate will discuss proposals for adding $21,000 in unanticipated student activity fee revenue to the MUSG budget, said Financial Vice President Cole Johnson, a junior in the College of Business Administration. He said the funds will be dispersed across several budget areas. The excess revenue comes from a total enrollment this year that was higher than predicted, which means revenue from the student activity fee every student pays as part of tuition was higher than anticipated.

Senate will also discuss approval of a new financial vice president to replace outgoing Johnson, whose term ends Feb. 15. MUSG interviewed a number of candidates Wednesday afternoon and will bring a selection before senate tonight.

Whelton will appoint a new student organizations committee chair to replace the outgoing chair, College of Communication Senator Emmaline Jurgena, a sophomore. Jurgena will step down from her position in MUSG at the end of the semester.

MUSG will also discuss club sports SOF allocations for the spring semester. Club sports applications for spring semester were due Nov. 15 and were reviewed by the SOF committee, which is chaired by Executive Vice President Zach Bowman, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences. MUSG will not release any specific information on allocations until after the senate meeting.