Men’s Tennis Finishes Fall Season

The Marquette men’s tennis team completed its fall season this weekend at the Texas Invitational in Austin, Texas.

The weekend started off with singles play, where Marquette struggled. Only two out of Marquette’s five singles players made it past the first round.

Junior Cameron Tehrani had a bye in the round of 64 and made it past his round of 32 match, defeating Lucas Anderson 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 in the Men’s Open Singles A Draw bracket. His success did not carry on in singles play and he was defeated in the round of 16 by Josh Hagar 6-1, 6-3.

In the Men’s Open Singles B Draw, again only one player would be successful in the opening rounds. Sophomore Gleb Sklyr defeated Trey Seymour of UT-Tyler 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in a close round of 32 contest, but Sklyr lost later in the day in the round of 16 by Notre Dame’s Matt Dooley.

Players who lost in singles went on to play in consolation matches, where they were again unsuccessful. The only player who performed well in consolation was senior Logon Collins, who won two consolation matches before being defeated in the third round.

Doubles play continued its fall success with great performances from the tandem of Tehrani and freshman Kristiyan Trukov. The duo battled its way to the quarterfinals in the Men’s Open Doubles bracket. They would fall to the eventual runners-up, Maxime Hinnissdaels and Hugo Dojas of Texas Tech. Collins and Dykema opened doubles play in the round of 64 and won before falling to a semifinalist.

With the fall season in the books, Marquette has a long break before returning to the court Jan. 18 against Lipscomb. The team will have a significant amount of work to do in preparation for a grueling spring season.