Men’s soccer shutout by Wisconsin

On a night where neither team could find a rhythm, Wisconsin-Madison came out on top and defeated the Marquette men’s soccer team 1-0, ending the Golden Eagles’ two-game win streak.

The badgers has not been kind to the Golden Eagles for a while. Wisconsin extended its unbeaten streak at McClinon Field against the Golden Eagles to 14 games.

A battle of contrasting styles had both teams on their struggling to produce all night and the defenses allowed little to no room to work or create chances. Only 18 scoring chances arose in the match and only four were on cage.

Marquette was never in the driver’s seat, as few chances and fewer shots led to no results. The Badgers, who also had few chances, threatened in the first half despite no shots on goal. The match was scoreless at intermission.

The offense showed up early in the second half briefly, but Wisconsin responded with a flurry of its own. In the 55th minute, Wisconsin had a chance on the doorstep, but forward Nick Janus popped it over the bar and a corner kick a few minutes later was headed just wide.

Wisconsin, despite quality opportunities was unable to put the ball on net and had no shots on goal for the majority of the game. Their first shot on goal came in the 71st minute as a ball was crossed in. Janus broke free from his defender, put a head on it, and it sailed into the net from a few yards out.

“They carved out one very good opportunity, which they took,” coach Louis Bennett said of the goal. “It was a very opportunistic cross and then a header. Lyon had no chance.”

Wisconsin’s goal ended up being the only shot on goal for the Badgers and the only goal of the game. The Badgers played back for the remainder of the match and ran out the clock to steal the in-state rivalry game and halt Marquette’s win streak at two.

The goal was also the first goal Marquette has surrendered in 291 minutes of play spanning four games.

There was never a point where either goalie was truly tested in the attacking third. Most of Marquette’s opportunities came off set pieces, but they either went straight to the keeper or wide. Badger keeper Casey Beyers made three saves on the night and Lyon had none.

“We didn’t do enough to actually get back in the game with a goal,” Bennett said. “We managed to create few opportunities not clean enough opportunities to put the ball in the back of the net.”

The only chances for Marquette in the second half came on free kicks. One was headed by redshirt sophomore forward C. Nortey and went straight to the keeper and the other found redshirt sophomore defender Axel Sjoberg who headed it over the bar.

This is the second time Marquette has been shutout this season. The first came two weeks ago against Michigan State.

Coach Bennett said he hopes to put this game behind them as they face Villanova Saturday.

“We’re going take our medicine, pack up, and then we’ll prepare for Villanova,” Bennett said.