Schultz, Bowman win MUSG election

New MUSG President Sam Schultz speaks after being inaugurated Thursday night. Photo by Xidan Zhang/ xidan.zhang@mu.edu
New MUSG President Sam Schultz speaks after being inaugurated Thursday night. Photo by Xidan Zhang/ [email protected]

Sam Schultz and Zach Bowman defeated Michaela Tarpey and Thomas Schick in the Marquette Student Government election for president and executive vice president, Elections Coordinator Dave Kuester announced Thursday morning at a press conference outside the MUSG office in the Alumni Memorial Union. Schultz and Bowman garnered 53.1 percent of the 1,430 votes cast, winning by 88 votes.

Schultz, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Bowman, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, were inaugurated in the AMU Ballrooms Thursday night before the first MUSG senate meeting of their administration. At the meeting, senators elected sophomore College of Arts & Sciences senator Kyle Whelton as the new government’s legislative vice president.

Schultz and Bowman initially finished third in the primary election after the ticket of Will Knight and Daniel Bresnahan, who were slated to advance to the general election and debated Tarpey and Schick on March 24.

Schultz and Bowman were put back into the race, however, after it was reported that a campaign worker for the Knight-Bresnahan ticket sent an unsolicited mass text message the day of the primary election, which was a violation of campaign rules. The violation was evaluated by MUSG’s elections committee, and Knight and Bresnahan were found guilty and docked 5 percent of their primary vote total, moving them behind Schultz and Bowman and removing them from the general election.

“It’s hard to put it into words,” Bowman said. “It’s been a crazy three weeks, obviously, getting initially knocked out in the primary and having to come in after the elections violation. I know we gave it our all, and I’m glad that we won.”

Bowman said he and Schultz would like to begin working on Student Organization Funding reform as soon as possible. SOF has been a hot button issue for MUSG, particularly last month, when Bowman and Schick tried and failed to pass an amendement to MUSG’s constitution removing the minimum percentage of the student activity fee that must be set aside for student organization funding.

Tarpey, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Schick, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, who finished first in the primary election, were quick to congratulate the winning ticket.

“I think they’re going to do a great job,” Tarpey said. “They have been awesome throughout this entire process, and personally I am just excited to see what they do next.”

Tarpey said she is unsure if she will be involved in MUSG in the future and that things are “up in the air right now.” Schick, who is the Schroeder Hall senator, finishes his term in September and will remain a member of the legislative body of MUSG and chair of the senate’s Business and Administration committee.

New MUSG Executive Vice President Zach Bowman is sworn into office Thursday night. Photo by Xidan Zhang/ xidan.zhang@mu.edu
New MUSG Executive Vice President Zach Bowman is sworn into office Thursday night. Photo by Xidan Zhang/ [email protected]

Outgoing president Arica Van Boxtel, a senior in the College of Communication, was also quick to praise Schultz and Bowman, whom she will help transition into office over the next few weeks.

“I think they have a lot of experience in senate and on academic issues, so they’ll be helpful in our advising process,” Van Boxtel said. “The real work is just beginning for them.”

The results of eight other races were also anounced at the press conference. Willie Jolly, a junior in the College of Business Administration, won the Residence Hall Association presidency. Rachel Heilgendorf, a sophomore in the College of Education, ran unopposed for RHA executive vice president.

Devin Curda, Anthony Lanz and Elizabeth Turbak, all from the College of Arts & Sciences, were elected as the three finalists for Senior Speaker for the May 2013 commencement. Their proposed speeches will be reviewed by a selection committee, which will make a recommendation to Rev. Scott Pilarz, who selects the speaker.

Sophomore Ryan Twaddle, freshman Zach Wallace and Whelton, an incumbent, all won College of Arts & Sciences senate seats.

Junior incumbent Tommy Hayes and freshman Dani Theis ran unopposed for the two College of Business Administration senate seats.

Freshman Emmaline Jurgena ran unopposed in the election for College of Communication senator. One senate seat in the College of Communication remains open, and the College of Communication Student Council will have to appoint a student to fill the seat.

Sophomore Vince Beacom and junior Billy Boswell ran unopposed for the two College of Engineering senate seats, and freshman Kate Barelli and  junior Patrick O’Donnell ran unopposed for the College of Health Sciences senate seats.

Senators will have to be appointed to fill the seats for both the College of Education and College of Nursing. Both college councils will be responsible for appointing a student to fill the one empty seat from each college.