Director of university communication resigns

After former director of university communication Kate Venne resigned from her post at Marquette in November, Brigid O’Brien Miller, the university’s strategic communication adviser, was instated as the interim director in the beginning of January. Miller will continue to serve until March 1, when a new candidate will take on the job.

The director of university communication serves as Marquette’s official spokesperson to the news media. In addition to being a liaison for media contacts, the director also aids the creation of university press releases and public relations efforts for the school.

Venne joined Marquette in fall 2010 and decided to leave the university in mid-November to “pursue opportunities outside of Marquette,” said Senior Director of University Communication Brian Dorrington. Venne declined to comment on the reasons for her departure.

Venne’s resignation was the second within the Office of Marketing and Communication in November. Marquette’s former Vice President for Marketing Communication, Tricia Geraghty, left Marquette only a few weeks prior, on Nov. 9.

Miller previously served as Marquette’s director of communication for seven years. She has coordinated the communication efforts for high-profile university events such as the inauguration of University President the Rev. Scott Pilarz and the release of the Marquette University Law School poll during the election season.

“I’m glad to be able to support the team in the Office of Marketing and Communication as we serve the university community – including students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents and friends – in a variety of ways,” Miller said in an email. “It is a role that is very familiar to me, and I look forward to working with colleagues from across campus during the months ahead.”