Marquette Men’s Basketball: Golden Eagles knock off Colgate, 84-63 in opener

Redshirt junior forward Jamil Wilson led Marquette with 15 points in its 84-63 win over Colgate Sunday. Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.

The Marquette men’s basketball team finally kicked off the 2012-13 season with an 84-63 home victory over Colgate at the BMO Harris Bradley Center Sunday afternoon.

Redshirt junior forward Jamil Wilson led Marquette with 15 points, including two 3-pointers and junior forward Davante Gardner added 14 points and six rebounds for the Golden Eagles, who won their season opener for the 12th consecutive season.

“I took what they gave me,” Wilson said. “I think my team did a good job of finding me when I was open.”

Redshirt senior center Chris Otule chipped in 11 points on 5-for-5 shooting and sophomore forward Juan Anderson scored nine points and pulled down nine boards, both of which were career-highs.

“It was tough sitting out after surgery,” said Anderson, who underwent shoulder surgery in May. “I had a bunch of jitters going out there, but I loosened up after a while.”

Senior guard Trent Lockett, who transferred to Marquette in the offseason from Arizona State, stuffed the stat sheet with seven points, seven rebounds, five steals and three assists in 19 minutes.

“[Lockett] makes a lot of ‘favor’ plays,” coach Buzz Williams said. “He’s a guy that is going to be, as time goes on, really hard for us to get off the floor.”

Marquette struggled on the glass, as Colgate out rebounded them 39-37. Marquette held a slim advantage in offensive rebounds, with 14 to Colgate’s 13.

“They had three offensive rebounds on missed free throws, which is awful,” Williams said. “We need to do a better job of contesting shots.”

Murphy Burnatowski led Colgate with 24 points and 12 rebounds. Pat Moore added 16 for the Raiders, who fell to 0-2.

The game was Marquette’s season opener, after their scheduled game against Ohio State aboard the USS Yorktown was cancelled due to condensation on the outdoor court at game time.

The Golden Eagles have a quick turnaround, taking on Southeastern Louisiana Tuesday at 8 pm, before heading to Hawaii for the Maui Invitational next week.