McGuire’s son among four named to board of trustees

On March 1, four Marquette alumni were elected to the board of trustees, including Alfred McGuire, son of legendary men’s basketball coach Al McGuire. The additions bring the board’s total membership to 35.

McGuire, a ’73 College of Arts & Sciences graduate, as well as Janis Orlowski, a ’78 College of Engineering graduate; James Weiss, a ’68 College of Arts & Sciences graduate; and Thomas Werner, an ’86 College of Engineering graduate, join University President the Rev. Scott Pilarz on what he hopes will be a well-rounded university governing body.

“With their unique backgrounds, talents and experiences, they will bring valuable perspectives to Marquette’s board of trustees,” Pilarz said in a news release announcing the elections.

McGuire played for his father while at Marquette, and went on to one season in the NBA playing for the New York Knicks. While at Marquette, he won the Robert L. and William P. McCahill Award for the highest-performing student-athlete senior of the year, and called men’s basketball games for radio and television after graduation. A retired senior vice president of Fidelity Investments, he spent most of his career in sales and recently served as a member of the committee that recently appointed Larry Williams, vice president and director of athletics.

Orlowski, who majored in biomedical engineering, has been involved in different levels of medical education and practices since leaving Marquette. She is currently senior vice president and chief medical officer of MedStar Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C. She holds multiple honors and awards and was inducted as a Master in the American College of Physicians in 2007.

Weiss is president of his own company, Weiss Capital Management Inc., which he founded in 2002. After graduation, he joined the Army and received a master’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania in business, Weiss went on to work in multiple investment positions. He was awarded the National Alumni Service Award from Marquette in 1995 and is currently on the College of Business Administration’s Dean’s Council of Excellence.

Werner received an electrical engineering degree from Marquette and went on to become SunPower Corporation’s chief executive in 2003. He has also held several executive management positions within firms dealing with electrical industries.

Of the 34 remaining board members, not counting Pilarz, 26 are Marquette graduates and eight were not previously affiliated with the university.