WHITE: A letter four years overdue

My mom recently gave me a book called “What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self,” by Ellyn Spragins. It is a compilation of letters written by now well-known women to the women they were years ago. Forty-one women, including Maya Angelou, Madeline Albright and Kate Spade, share deep and honest lessons learned the hard way.

While I am not nearly as successful as these fine ladies, I have definitely gained some knowledge since beginning college. Even though I do not regret much from my college experience, there are a few nuggets of wisdom which took me a long while to find out. And since the weather is nice and I am nostalgic, I thought I would try sending a message from my wise, 21-year-old self to the newly braces-free 18-year-old me.

Dear sweet, skinnier Kelly,

You are very sheltered. You will find that out the first weekend of school – and it’s going to freak you out. Trust me when I say it is OK. No one is going to judge you longer than a minute if you ask a question you think is dumb or are hesitant to do something – and if they do judge you, you do not need to be their friend. If you’re really nervous, just go next door to Carolyn and ask about everything all at once. She’ll help you out, and you’ll be able to laugh about it later.

Just because you went to an all-girls high school does not mean that you are not fully capable of sharing an educated opinion and debating with the very confident boys in your classes. Speak up! Learn to disagree respectfully. And when that one kid says something so offensive to you that it brings tears to your eyes, do not become overly emotional. State your case and move on. People in that classroom will respect you and support you – even if they disagree with you.

Some professors are going to inspire you to be better both in and out of the classroom. Listen to them. Take their advice. Go to their office hours. And keep in touch after class is over. There will also be some very dull educators. Just power through those classes and try to stay awake. You can get A’s without being totally stimulated – so try to. You’ll need that cushion senior year.

You will think your first political science class is boring. Get through it – one day you are going to love these topics. Just declare a double major now to rid yourself of a future headache. And sit on the other side of the room with Molly. She’s going to end up being one of your best friends.

Go to any speaker or event that sounds interesting to you, even if no one else wants to go (but ask Viv, she probably will). Do not let anyone stand in your way of learning something, and do not think class is the only place to learn. The best lessons will come from seminars and discussions – not from studying forever in the library. But do that too! There will be some late nights that are dreadful at the time but worth it eventually.

When you are tired, sleep. When you are not, don’t. Appreciate your daily afternoon naps. At some point, they will not be easy to come by.

Senior year is still hard. So start anticipating that now. You and all of your friends will end up being successful, so don’t stress out. Success is not measured by securing jobs or making the most money – it is measured in good work and being a good person.

Speaking of good people, your friends now will remain your friends throughout college. But do not limit yourself to them! You will end up making some of your best friends the summer before senior year – but you will need good friends before that. Stay loyal to your pals. Confide in and listen to them.

Wear flats when going to big parties and Thursday night bars. When people start to exit unceremoniously, do the same. Put your drink down and remain calm when you walk out the door. But hustle. If you don’t want to go out, stay in. If you feel uncomfortable, get yourself out of a situation. There will be plenty of opportunities for wild times – don’t feel like you are missing out.

College is going to be great and you will leave feeling like an entirely different person– with a slight Wisconsin accent. It might not be everything you expected, but it will be everything you need.

Wear your retainer,

Kel