Dr. Dog prescribes an eclectic, enjoyable mix

After years of playing in basements or barns and scrapping together homemade albums, Dr. Dog has found its niche. The psychedelic rock band introduces electronic beats to dark folksy harmonies in their new album, “Be The Void,” released on Feb. 7.

Philadelphia-based indie folk band Dr. Dog released their sixth full-length album Feb. 7. Photo via Anti/Epitaph.

Since the early 2000s, Dr. Dog has gained a strong following in Philadelphia, the group’s home turf. In 2005, Dr. Dog became nationally recognized among the indie scene with the release of their album, “Easy Beat.”

While the band’s early sound was characterized by lo-fi sound (intentionally low-quality recordings designed to produce more accidental and authentic sound), in recent albums, the band has created an eclectic mix of classic rock and electric sound, greatly influenced by 1960s bands.

Dr. Dog kicks off “Be The Void” with its methodic, beat driven “Lonesome.” It’s a strange choice to open with, featuring a jazzy, bluesy tone shared only by a few other songs on the album, like “Get Away” or “Do the Trick.” “Lonesome’s” slow mantra matches the album’s central theme — confusion and uncertainty during trying times — but it still feels out of place.

While “Lonesome” is not an instant hit, the album gains energy in a few tracks. Dr. Dog’s unique blend of instruments sets the band’s sound apart from other indie groups. The electric keyboard and bass guitar are constantly dueling, but the sound is never overwhelming. The fusion of these different noises into a sunny harmony is complementary, and a welcome throwback to classic rock.

With an album title that’s called “Be The Void,” there’s no question that Dr. Dog has been searching for something to fill an internal emptiness. While it’s not glaringly obvious, a few songs have spiritual undertones that comment on society’s religious ideology.

“Warrior Man” questions humanity’s growing sense of entitlement as the planet’s most intelligent species. While technology allows man to “play God,” history tells us even ancient cultures have felt as if they are deserving enough to understand God’s supreme knowledge and power. “Well the Holy Ghost, he owes me everything he knows / And everything he don’t, you understand? / Well I think you can.” These lyrics are not only chilling but telling of our society.

The album ends with the track “Turning the Century.” The lyrics are about reflection, especially as time passes, and a man searching for something bigger than himself. The instruments perfectly mirror the lyrics’ mood, an acoustic guitar giving off a folksy and haunting echo.

“Turning the Century” also subtly comments on man’s understanding of divinity. The song critiques humans’ conception of what is expected from religion. “And I’m humbled by the maker / I’ve been given all I gave. / And I don’t expect, no I don’t expect to be saved. / No I don’t expect; I ain’t asking to be saved.” The song ends with the man asking the “maker” not for redemption but common courtesy.

“Be The Void” is diverse in its eclectic upbeat variety of musical styles and lyrics. The music is spunky but also seriously thought provoking. “Be The Void” challenges an eternal soul searching that leaves a yearning for more.