WHITE: Stop making Lent all about me

Next Wednesday, Catholics begin their yearly observance of Lent. Lent is a time for renewal and sacrifice in order to become ready for the coming of  Christ. So growing up, Lent meant I had to give up things like TV and candy and start being kinder to my brothers.

Needless to say, I kind of hated Lent.

As an adult, though, my faith has evolved. While I continue to practice Catholicism, I have actually stopped hating Lent and started appreciating it as a time of reflecting in order to better myself in my faith.

Unlike New Year’s Resolutions, a Lenten promise holds more weight — you know, because of God.  When I flake out on my New Year’s Resolution to work out every day by Jan. 2, I really have only disappointed my future self. Flaking out on Lent means that I am disappointing Christ, who died on the cross for my eternal salvation.

The least I can do is 40 days without Diet Coke.

This year, though, I decided to make a more meaningful attempt. I started thinking about ways I could be a better me, and in doing so, compiled a list of my shortcomings. I do not recommend doing this — it’s rather discouraging. But through recognizing my weaknesses, I can see some areas to improve upon.

For instance, I really could be a more useful roommate. I’m writing this as my roommates cook dinner in the kitchen — for me — and I have a strong feeling they will also wind up doing the dishes. My dentist would be horrified by the amount of coffee and pop my teeth encounter, and I have a feeling my doctor would not be thrilled by my weekend indulgences. My beloved professors would be tempted to flunk me if they knew how much I have been slacking as of late. I really could do a better job keeping in touch with my family and friends who do not live in Milwaukee. I speak before thinking, I judge others harshly and frequently, I cannot kick my Diet Coke habit, I exaggerate to the extreme, I cry about all of it and, clearly, I have an issue with over-sharing.

This all boils down to one thing: I am incredibly selfish.

When I recognize this trait in other people, I am less inclined to be their friend. I thought it was because their selfishness was terribly rude, but I fret my subconscious may just be avoiding anyone who steals my spotlight.

Thus, my Lenten promise will be to think of myself less and give others more credit. I judge myself by what I intend to do and others by what they succeed in — or fail to — accomplish. What I need to do is reverse this notion.

It is not easy to recognize our faults, and it is even less easy to change our ways. Lent gives us an opportunity to do both, which is awesome, even for non-Catholics. It is a 40-day attempt to just be better, regardless of what you are being better for. Attaching a higher meaning gives a sense of validation, but making an effort to change is  valid no matter the reasoning.

And these promises can stick for longer than 40 days — my friend Peter hasn’t drank pop in ten years. He makes it seem like giving up Diet Coke is easy — maybe I should try again. Then again, judging others less but thinking of them more seems like a much more meaningful use of my time. Sorry, Dr. Mark.