‘On the Bridge’ puts veterans’ plight back into spotlight

The war in Iraq may not be headlining newspapers and newscasts anymore, but many veterans and soldiers still silently feel its effects. Director Olivier Morel hopes to end that silence with his documentary “On the Bridge.”

"On the Bridge" sheds light on veterans suffering from PTSD. Photo courtesy of Olivier Morel.

The full-length documentary makes its Milwaukee debut Saturday, Nov. 19, in room 001 at Cudahy Hall at 7 p.m.

The film takes on the topic of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the military and its veterans. Morel followed six different Iraq War veterans coping with life after war and suffering from PTSD for the documentary.

One fateful morning in South Bend, Ind. helped push the French-born filmmaker toward the film’s topic.

“I was driving to work, and I heard this disturbing and intense piece on the radio about the number of young men and women committing suicide after coming back home from the war,” Morel said. “It was so unexpected. I was angry but also curious. I wanted to know what was going on.”

Though the piece inspired Morel, he wanted to take a different approach to the topic than that story had.

“The radio story was a lot of statistics and figures. It was a cold point of view,” Morel said. “I wanted to put names, faces and voices to the people dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder.”

Morel also had a personal interest in the topic. His grandfather, who helped raise Morel as a boy, served in World War II and hated talking about his experiences in the conflict.

“He was deeply disturbed by the things he had witnessed and seen,” Morel said.

Morel also related his quest for citizenship to his interest in the topic. Morel met with several veterans soon after becoming an official American citizen. The situation helped the French-born American better connect and understand his new country.

It also brought him closer to his film’s subjects. Since PTSD is a deeply personal problem and the smallest of comments or moments can trigger panic attacks, he wanted to make sure there was a strong amount of trust between he and the veterans. The result was great footage for the documentary and an even greater relationship with the subjects.

“They are a part of my family,” Morel stated. “These are beautiful friendships that I have with them.”

One of the documentary’s subjects, singer/songwriter Jason Moon, is a Milwaukee native and provided original music for the documentary. Moon’s wife and son, as well as Morel, will be attending the screening and participating in a discussion with audience members after the credits roll.

According to Morel, Moon’s participation in the project resulted mostly out of their friendship. In 2008, Morel contacted a veteran’s organization in Chicago. Moon was a part of the group’s Milwaukee chapter. The two established contact, and Morel was instantly impressed with Moon’s musical and lyrical talent.

“He is an exceptional artist,” Morel said. “It’s not just the beauty of his music but also the content of his lyrics. It’s actually one of the parts of the documentary that I’m most attached to.”

Morel, Moon and Moon’s family became close friends. Due to their close connection, Morel was deeply concerned about the filming, but the singer/songwriter and veteran was always open with the French director.

“There was a willingness in Jason, but it was also very risky,” Morel stated. “We had a very long back-and-forth discussion about whether or not to film him. We agreed that if he wanted to stop the process, that would be fine, and I wouldn’t take it the wrong way at all.”

Moon ended up performing several songs for the film and then proceeding to do interviews for the documentary. It was a large step for the project, which has turned into a powerful piece not only for Morel but also for veterans who watch the film.

“We’ve had people stand up at the end of screenings and thank me for my service,” Morel said. “I tell them this is nothing compared to what you have done.”

“On the Bridge” makes its Milwaukee debut on Nov. 19 in Cudahy Hall at 7 p.m. The screening is free and open to the public.