BREAKING: Mugging reported at 9th and Wisconsin

A student was mugged shortly after 8 p.m. Tuesday when he was approached by two men near the intersection of 9th Street and Wisconsin Avenue, across the street from Straz Tower, according to a News Brief released Tuesday evening.

The student tried to go around the suspects after they demanded he turn over his property, but was struck with an elbow to the face while he was walking away.  Afterwards, the student turned over his cell phone and iPod to the two men, who then headed east on Wisconsin Avenue.  No weapons were involved during the incident.

The student notified DPS using a blue light phone on 11th Street, but declined medical treatment.  DPS is currently working with the Milwaukee Police Department to locate and apprehend the muggers.

The two suspects were described in the News Brief as teenage black males, both around  5″6′ with slim builds.  The first perpetrator had on a black sweatshirt with the Batman logo on the front.  The second had short braided hair sticking up and was wearing a black pea coat.

DPS Captain Russell Shaw described the mugging as a random incident and an unfortunate part of living in an urban environment.  He advised students to use DPS resources such as the LIMOs and to use increased judgment after dark.

“Use our services whenever you can,” Shaw said.  “If you feel uncomfortable and you see individuals that can make you feel uncomfortable, don’t walk at them. Turn around and walk away.”