U.S. Bank to cut 35 jobs in Milwaukee

The U.S. Bank in downtown Milwaukee will be cutting 35 jobs by November as part of a restructuring of the branch, the bank told state officials. Job separations are scheduled to begin Nov. 16.

The jobs to be cut are in information technology and data processing, according to Tom Joyce, a spokesperson for U.S. Bank.

U.S. Bancorp, the parent company of U.S. Bank, notified state officials earlier this year about 64 other job cuts made in the downtown location. These jobs were in fraud and dispute management.

U.S. Bank employs about 5,000 people statewide.

Joyce said the cuts made to the downtown location are not reflective of U.S. Bank’s other branches in Wisconsin.

“The cuts made were only at this location,” he said. “We are growing and adding jobs nationwide. We are not in a reduction mode at all. We are just automating some processes in these positions.”

Joyce said jobs are being cut at the downtown Milwaukee location and not at others only because of changes being made to the information technology department at that location.

Workers who were displaced will work with human resources in order to be placed in other areas within the bank if positions are available.

“Because we are adding and growing, we are hoping we can place some of these individuals in positions that make sense for them,” Joyce said. “We would like to make the net loss to be something less than 35.”

Lisa Clark, U.S. Bank media representative for Wisconsin, said cuts will only affect the downtown branch and will not affect employees of the Marquette branch.