Two students join list of recent muggings

A student was robbed at 3:50 p.m. Wednesday afternoon after three men pushed her to the ground and stole her bag.

The incident occurred two days after an armed robbery on Monday night, bringing the total to four robberies over the past six days.

The student was approached by a rust-colored, two door coupe at 3:50 p.m. near the intersection of North 22nd Street and West Kilbourn Avenue. There were three passengers inside the vehicle.

One of the passengers got out of the car and pushed the student to the ground, taking her bag. The assailant then got back into the vehicle and fled the area. The student was not physically injured.

“We are concerned with the recent reported robberies and both DPS and MPD have added resources to help keep students safe,” said Kate Venne, director of university communication.

According to Department of Public Safety Captain Russell Shaw, those added resources include increased police presence on campus, with some officers even patrolling on horseback.

All three passengers were described to DPS as African American males. The man who committed the robbery was said to be 5’10” and in his late teens or early 20s with dreadlocks. He was wearing a black shirt, dark pants and dark shoes.  The second passenger was of average height and build, and wore dark pants, a white T-shirt and a white golf-style cap. The third passenger was also of average height and build, and wore a white T-shirt with dark pants. There was no description of the driver.

DPS and the Milwaukee Police Department are also investigating an armed robbery that occurred Monday night on the 800 block of North 22nd Street.

An alumna and a student were approached by two males around 11:50 p.m. who demanded cash and displayed a weapon. One of the assailants took the alumna’s purse before fleeing on foot on North 22nd Street.

The muggers were described as African American males in their late teens or early 20s who were clean-shaven with short hair.  The first perpetrator was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with blue lettering and dark shorts. He was also armed. The second was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark shorts.

Neither the student or the alumna were physically injured.

“We are strongly encouraging students to take advantage of the safety resources offered,” Venne said. “The safety of our students is certainly a priority for the university.”