EDITORIAL: Don’t boycott Walker-supporting businesses

In the aftermath of Gov. Scott Walker’s budget repair bill signing, union members and their sympathizers took action against the bill’s slashing of collective bargaining rights.

Recently, members of the Wisconsin State Employees Union, AFSCME Council 24, have been targeting local southeastern Wisconsin businesses, giving them an ultimatum to support their cause or suffer a boycott.

This method of protest against Walker is counterproductive. It only hurts local businesses already struggling to survive in this weak economy. As a result, the boycott will only damage Wisconsin’s overall economy and job creation efforts.

Even private businesses wishing to remain neutral aren’t safe. A union letter sent out to local firms reads in part, “And sorry, neutral means ‘no’ to those who work for the largest employer in the area and are union members.”

Businesses should not be punished for choosing not to comply with union members’ demand to hang pro-worker signs in their windows. This movement against local businesses will not change anything.

Coercing businesses into displaying a sign does not automatically make them support their cause, and only creates more animosity.

Certainly, there are better ways for unions and their supporters to protest. Attend a pro-union rally. Join a recall effort. Contact your representatives and the governor directly.

Just don’t punish local businesses.