BAKER: Dear baseball, you are the best sport invented since cricket

Katelyn Baker

There are few things dearer to America’s heart than opening day. Even someone with absolutely no interest or understanding of baseball gets excited at the prospect of going to a game, if not just for the food.

Americans have a mysterious emotional bond with baseball.

Perhaps because it is one of the few things within American culture that we identify as uniquely “ours.” We can take total credit for baseball, and that makes us proud.

Baseball has always been a huge part of my life. One of my fondest memories as a child is taking the bus to the Rockies game every year with my grandpa and my dad in Denver. There’s nothing that can match that particular excitement you have as a child. And that excitement for baseball has carried into my college years.

So here’s to you, baseball: I love you.

To my beloved,

Holy moly, I love absolutely everything about you! From the way I feel when I’m around you, to your ability to make a seemingly dull moment completely memorable.

I would have to say, out of anyone I know, you’re the one I feel most comfortable around. You’re literally the only one I feel OK wearing a T-shirt and cap around without feeling like a complete slob. No matter what time of day we hang out, I don’t have to dress to impress. And I love that.

With that said, I can completely gorge myself on the most delicious, calorie-filled food out there and it doesn’t bother you one bit. In fact, you actually encourage it, tempting me with offers of cotton candy and ice cold Miller Light. No need to order a side salad here. Thanks for recognizing that I’m not that kind of girl.

In fact, after thinking about it, nearly every aspect of our relationship is perfect — except for the months of distance during those long, horrible winter months. Not only do I have to deal with a million feet of snow and hurricane strength gusts of wind, but every time I pass our favorite hang-out spot on Miller Park Way, I can’t help but wish it wouldn’t go away for months at a time.

But after your triumphant return, it’s as if spring has already arrived, even though it still might be near freezing outside.

And even though you may leave me for months at a time, you’re completely faithful to me. I can trust that you’ll always follow me wherever I go without a complaint. I can’t say the same if I go abroad, but I know that when I come back, you’ll be waiting with open arms.

But let’s not dwell on that.

You’re also easy to bring my friends around. They adore you and you make it so easy for us all to have fun together. You don’t let anyone feel left out or unimportant. But that’s just your nature. You’re inclusive, which makes everyone want to spend time with you.

But most of all, I love that I can always count on you. My bad day ends the moment I enter the stadium. You have an uncanny ability to cheer me up no matter what kind of day I’m having. It’s the comfort of knowing you will always be there for me. And that all summer long we can be together and enjoy each other’s company.

My dear baseball, I’m glad you’re back. I simply cannot wait to hang out.

Love, your adoring fan,

Katelyn