Editorial: Action in Libya shows promise

The United States’ recent intervention in Libya, otherwise known as Operation Odyssey Dawn, is undoubtedly a significant contribution to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization’s mission. But while U.S. involvement is crucial to the coalition’s success, it begs the question: what comes next?

With the constraints of a struggling economy and already overwhelming costs of military involvement in other countries, President Barack Obama’s decision is daunting to say the least.

According to MSNBC.com, the Pentagon reported that through March 28, the U.S.’s military involvement in Libya has already cost $550 million overall. And the cost for the 199 Tomahawk missiles fired alone ranges somewhere between $220 million and $298 million.

The staggering cost of war has many Americans wondering if the U.S. can spare these limited resources. The national debt already has politicians cutting spending in every available area, and becoming involved in another military situation is a monumental strain on resources.

U.S. intervention in Libya also decreases attention on pressing issues at home.

This involvement seems to be another item on a never-ending laundry list of issues the U.S. must overcome to get back on its feet, which raises the question of which problem will gain the most precedence.

However, the president has pledged no commitment of U.S. ground forces, concentrating U.S. military power on the Air Force and Navy. And unlike previous circumstances involving U.S. intervention in foreign affairs, management of the mission will not be spearheaded by the U.S. The NATO alliance is assuming full control of the operation, a fact that puts many Americans at ease.

This shift in power is a momentous turn of events for the U.S., and this will hopefully set a precedent for our future involvement in foreign affairs.

Certainly, the U.S.’s military involvement serves a humanitarian purpose through removing a ruthless dictator and providing assistance to a country in need, which makes U.S. involvement all the more difficult to argue against.

The U.S. also has an obligation to its allies to band together when needed. And this time, the conflict will not be fought alone.

However, in order to reassure the American people that this involvement will not be a repeat of the past, Obama should make regular announcements on the war’s progress, including deadlines and goals of the mission.

Ideally, this involvement will set a trend of more open and shared handling of U.S. involvement in foreign affairs.

While this intervention has occurred at a seemingly inconvenient time, it is good to remember that war is never convenient, and it is encouraging to know the U.S. is handling its involvement in foreign affairs much better than in the past.

Stepping back is actually a bold step forward for U.S. involvement in Libya, and for the first major military intervention initiated by this president.

As long as the U.S. remains part of a whole in this coalition, it is imperative to not overstep its limits.

Hopefully, the missions will be as efficient and successful as possible, so America can turn its gaze to more pressing issues at home.