Four student athletes involved in alleged sexual assault

The Milwaukee Police Department is investigating an allegation of sexual assault by a woman who indicates she was assaulted by four male students at a party on campus last October.

The accused are student athletes, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and other media reports quoting Milwaukee police.

The female student initially reported to the Department of Public Safety that she was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance at Humphrey Hall, where many student athletes live, between 10:30 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 30. The DPS crime log also states that the student did not request assistance from MPD at any time.

Russell Shaw, associate director of DPS, said DPS performed a number of follow-ups with the student after the initial report, though she never requested further assistance.

“From the beginning, MPD was always an option for her,” Shaw said. “We never denied her that.”

Kate Venne, director of university communications, said that the case was handed over to the university’s Division of Student Affairs, which found the students not guilty for sexual assault under the student conduct code. Venne also pointed out she is sharing information only with the permission of the students involved, as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act protects the privacy of student education records.

“We take any kind of allegation seriously,” Venne said. “We typically would not comment on these sorts of allegations.”

According to the university’s understanding of the matter, the female student made the new report with MPD within the last week.

“This particular allegation was made public before the MPD investigation was completed,” Venne said. “That’s why the timing is what it is.”

MPD has nothing more to share at this time, as the investigation is ongoing, said Anne Schwartz, MPD public relations manager, in an e-mail.