EDITORIAL: Donate to Japan

It’s hard to believe it has been three weeks since Japan was devastated by a 9.0 magnitude earthquake, changing the lives of its residents forever. The disaster, which hit the country on March 11, left thousands in need of help.

More than 16,000 people are still missing, and the official death toll has risen to more than 10,800. The quake left more than 190,000 people in temporary shelters after losing their homes due to destruction or evacuation.

People are donating money to Japan, but not with the same urgency as Haiti after the January 2010 earthquake or other lesser-developed countries struck by disaster.

People don’t see Japan as a country that typically needs help, and until recently, Japan did not ask for donations. But that’s no excuse to be stingy in this desperate situation.

Americans raised more than $57 million during a telethon on MTV and texted more than $5 million in donations through the Red Cross for Haiti after a massive earthquake shook the country on Jan. 12 last year.

So far, The American Red Cross has raised more than $47 million for Japan, along with other U.S.-based groups that are continuing to raise donations to aid in the relief efforts.

Money was donated to support Haiti because thousands of people were in trouble and a country was torn apart by an uncontrollable event.

Japan is in the same predicament. Japan may be more developed and wealthier than Haiti, but in times of trouble, help is needed regardless.

Organizations like The American Red Cross, Convoy of Hope, The Salvation Army and GlobalGiving all accept donations through text messaging. These charities and organizations, along with AmeriCares, Doctors Without Borders, Save the Children and the International Medical Corps, also take online donations through their websites from those willing to give.

It’s easy to help and doesn’t take long. Japan has often helped other countries when struck by disaster, and now it’s time to show support. Japan may have the world’s third-largest economy, but if help is not given soon, the earthquake’s aftermath may set this thriving country back decades and permanently damage its future.