Silent 1927 sci-fi ‘Metropolis’ isn’t rusty

I am currently taking an English class focusing on the Modern Period of American history and literature. Last week, we watched the 1927 silent film “Metropolis,” directed by Fritz Lang, to explore the factors contributing to Modernism, including class, gender and the rise of the machine.

“Metropolis” was the first full-length silent film. Photo via Universum Film.

Why am I talking about this in an arts and entertainment blog? Because the film was well worth seeing even if you aren’t interested in Modernism, and lucky for us, it’s showing at Times Cinema this weekend.

“Metropolis” is an epic tale of science fiction and allegory, set in a futuristic city controlled by machines and the wealthy human masterminds behind them. The working class is kept rigidly separate from the carefree lifestyle of the rich folks, until Freder (Gustav Frohlich), the son of the man in control of the city, falls in love with Maria (Brigitte Helm), a working class prophet who predicts the coming of a savior who will mediate the growing tensions between the rich and the poor.

Maria seems to be the only thing keeping the workers from revolting against the wealthy and abandoning the machines, and the machines are the only things keeping the city alive. Maria has faith in a mediator who will use the “heart” to join the “hands,” or workers, to the “head,” or those in power. If the mediator does not arrive in time, it is apparent the city will not survive.

“Metropolis” has all the elements of a good movie – conflict, romance, action and a hero. There is even a robot thrown into the mix, which is creepy yet effective. The film also has a great soundtrack, something very necessary when there is no dialogue.

So even if you’re not the biggest history buff or silent film aficionado, I suggest you check out “Metropolis” at Times Cinema, 5906 W. Vliet St., this weekend. You’re sure to enjoy it, and you might even learn something while you’re at it. It’s showing on Thursday, Friday and Sunday at 6:30 p.m. and on Saturday at 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $6.

[youtube]ZSExdX0tds4[/youtube]