EDITOR: Beginning of “Opening up MU” series

Today, the Tribune brings you the first installment of its “Opening up MU” series, which focuses on Marquette’s attempts to become a more welcoming campus, specifically toward the LGBT community.
In many ways, it’s a look at how the university has — or hasn’t — changed since our image was tainted by rescinding the College of Arts & Sciences deanship offer to Jodi O’Brien last spring.
I was stunned when Judy Shepard, whose son was killed 13 years ago in a hate crime for being gay, said in a speech on campus Tuesday night that it seems there has been a “gag order” at Marquette about the O’Brien debacle.
Shepard’s comments may be overdramatic, but her point is well taken. As a campus community, we probably have not talked enough about it this year.
As editor of the official campus newspaper, I am somewhat to blame for the arguable lack of public discourse on the issue in recent months. But with this series, we hope to do our part to bolster healthy discussion of the topic.
Part one of “Opening up MU” analyzes the December report by Ronni Sanlo, senior associate dean of students, adjunct professor and program director for the master’s program in student affairs at UCLA, who made recommendations to address LGBT issues at Marquette.
Next Thursday, part two will examine specific initiatives implemented by the university this year in the wake of the incident with O’Brien. Look for the series to continue after spring break.
We at the Tribune feel it is time for the entire Marquette community — students, faculty, administrators, staff and alumni — to reevaluate who we are, how we’ve progressed this school year and what still needs to be done.
Granted, substantial change does not occur overnight, or even necessarily in one year. But let’s acknowledge the positives that have come out of last spring’s black eye, while also doing our part to make Marquette the truly open, diverse campus it should be.

Jeff Engel, editor-in-chief