Wild delivers final State of University address

Fr. Wild delivered the State of the University Wednesday as part of Marquette’s Mission Week. Photo by Brittany McGrail / [email protected]

The moment was bittersweet as University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild gave his final State of the University address Wednesday afternoon.

Wild, who provided an update on the university for this academic school year, wanted to take the time to reflect on his 15 years as president. New University President the Rev. Scott Pilarz steps in on Aug. 1.

Wild described himself as a bit naïve when he started out in 1996, but thanked the faculty, staff and students who helped him get through the trying years. During his initial years, Marquette was in fiscal trouble and there were many administrative positions to fill.

After getting fiscal items in order, Wild worked on redrafting the mission statement and started a major fundraising campaign, which ended up raising $357 million in a seven-year period.

“It was important because it showed there are a lot of people who care about Marquette and want to invest in it,” Wild said.

Other things Wild touched on included the establishment of the Gender Equity Taskforce and the Ethnic Alumni Association, which were created after the rescinding of the College of Arts & Sciences deanship offer to Seattle University professor Jodi O’Brien last year.

“We are exploring ways to continue making sure staff and faculty feel welcomed,” Wild said.

Even with challenges on the horizon, Wild said Marquette’s future looks positive.

“We rode out well the most severe economic downturn since the 1930s,” he said. “Our families are more positive and our donors more willing to give.”

Wild said they raised about $10 million for scholarships and $6 million for the Discovery Learning Complex in 2010, along with providing $83.9 million in financial aid to students. Wild said 90 percent of students are receiving some level of financial aid.

When he began as president, there were only 5,000 incoming undergraduate applications. This school year, there were about 22,000.

He also talked about the plans to give faculty a raise in 2012.

“The students and faculty have taught me a lasting lesson — it’s the people, the people that make the difference,” Wild said. “It is the staff and faculty that help make this place work.”

Wild described it as a bittersweet moment, but feels change is good after 15 years of service.

Jim Peck, director of regional development for the Office of University Advancement, said Wild has made an enormous impact on this university.

“He came in at a low point and rallied staff and alumni,” he said. “Everything he has touched has been made better.”

Doug Leonhardt, associate vice president of the Office of Mission and Ministry, said when Wild started, the university was going about 20 miles per hour, but now it is going at 75 to 80 mph.

Maureen O’Brien, associate dean of the College of Nursing, said Wild has done a wonderful job, and she has really been able to see the improvement.

“He made a better university for faculty and staff,” she said.

Wild has now helped the university to enjoy “even greater success,” said Paul Markovina, senior director of development communications in the Office of University Advancement.

Wild’s plans after stepping down are to go on sabbatical for a year and then possibly go on a theological and spiritual retreat in a warm, sunny place.

As for leading another university, Wild does not foresee that in his future.

The advice Wild offers Pilarz is, “Just know you are coming to a wonderful university with great colleagues and students.”

• D

DresdenFeb 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm

“Other things Wild touched on included the establishment of the Gender Equity Taskforce and the Ethnic Alumni Association, which were created after the rescinding of the College of Arts & Sciences deanship offer to Seattle University professor Jodi O’Brien last year.”

Fact check? I don’t think the Taskforce or the Ethnic Alumni Association were created AFTER the dean debauchle. They’d been established already.