Educators evaluate Obama’s proposed education push

One of the items President Barack Obama outlined in his State of the Union address was excluding education cuts from his proposed annual domestic spending freeze. Whether this is feasible or not is up for debate.

The president urged college students to consider teaching and also for Congress to pass legislation to protect non-citizen students in an attempt to increase the nation’s long-term global growth and competitiveness.

Obama’s proposal to eliminate tax breaks for oil companies could accomplish this because it would offset higher education cost increases. Some of this additional government revenue reserved for education would go toward a potential tax credit worth $10,000 over four years.

This won’t necessarily make a significant difference in paying for college, said John McAdams, an associate professor of political science at Marquette.

“Current financial aid, including federal programs not including the tax credit, are really pretty adequate,” he said. “If someone really wants to go to college, they can — given the number of grants, loans and jobs available.”

Still, the president’s support for higher education has drawn considerable praise, said Rana Altenburg, vice president of public affairs at Marquette.

“Marquette appreciates that President Obama continues to recognize the value of higher education in creating a skilled workforce that will help the nation’s economy to not only recover, but prosper,” Altenburg said.

One other thing Obama addressed was his support of the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act. Passage would allow non-citizen students to continue to reside in the United States and receive an education.

“As the president said, ‘Let’s stop expelling talented, responsible young people who can staff our research labs, start new businesses and further enrich this nation.’ Marquette has long supported passage of the DREAM Act,” Altenburg said.

In addition to supporting the approval of this legislation, Marquette officials may also find favor with government programs already in place to assist students in paying for college.

Institutions like Marquette rely on federal student financial aid, including Pell Grants, Perkins Loans, Federal Work-Study, TRIO Programs and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, to serve students who want to attend college, Altenburg said.

In general, the federal tax credit would result in a $2,500 credit per year for four years. Altenburg said the credit was yet another incentive in the investment of higher education.

On the other hand, McAdams said the proposed tax credit might not even be available to students in all tax brackets.

“The credit would go to married couples making up to $160,000 per year,” McAdams said. “These aren’t people who deserve a subsidy at the expense of the general taxpayer.”

The president’s call for students to enter into the teaching profession has been met with high praise, especially since budget and salary cuts in schools across the nation have turned many students off from the idea of becoming a teacher.

Ellen Eckman, an associate professor and chair of the department of educational policy and leadership, was glad to hear Obama’s emphasis on education in his speech.

“I think that people have not looked at teaching because of salary constraints and the negative approach taken toward educators by many in the media,” she said. “I was pleased that President Obama spoke about the importance of teaching and teachers.”