Reader Submission: Why Republicans aren’t as potent as they think

On Nov. 2, 2010, the Republican resurgence manifested itself in an election President Obama dubbed a “shellacking.” Democrats lost 64 seats to rival Republicans in the House. Six Senatorial seats were lost, with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid barely hanging on against his Tea Party opponent. Fourteen states changed from Democrat to Republican leadership, giving the GOP control of 29 states.

Republicans, in the greatest shift since FDR was president, have taken control of over half of the country’s state legislatures in a year when the Census demands new redistricting. The 2010 midterm elections spell out a blow to the Democratic National Committee, though not one as crippling as Republicans would like.

Democrats did not waste any time fighting back. In a “lame duck” Congress, Democrats made serious gains. The repeal of the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy, the passing of the nuclear non-proliferation New START Treaty and the deal to extend Bush-era tax cuts in exchange for an additional year of unemployment benefits all laid the ground work for the 2012 campaigns before 2010 was even over.

Now, the Republicans must create their own agenda, instead of merely voting against the bills presented by the Democrats, leaving them vulnerable for the 2012 election.

On Jan. 19, Republicans repealed the health care law in the House though further action in the Senate is a pipe dream. John Boehner picked up the Speaker’s gavel on Jan. 5, but he now contends with a Democratic White House and Senate. Any partisan legislation coming from the House will seldom make it through the slow-moving upper chamber, to say nothing of the approval of the White House.

Boehner and other Republican leaders face not only stiff external opposition, but a considerable issue internally. Much of the GOP success can be attributed to the Tea Party movement. This movement may lead to a drift to the right when most legislation will have to appear moderate to succeed.

Additionally, many see the Tea Party unfavorably, and as losing steam. Sarah Palin is viewed negatively by a majority of Americans and even one-third of Republicans do not feel she is qualified to serve as president, according to a Washington Post ABC News poll. The Tea Party could prove to be a serious stick in the mud and prevent unified efforts to gain momentum and make further gains in 2012.

Americans need to consider context as the 112th Congress gets underway. Yes, the Republicans own the House, though by a margin smaller than what the Democrats held in the 111th Congress. Even George W. Bush says House Republicans should “keep expectations low.” Yes, the elections serve as a sign of a conservative comeback, though the Senate serves as a reminder that the comeback is limited. Yes, the Tea Party brought fire and energy back into a directionless GOP, though the far right movement will serve as a source of division instead of desperately needed solidarity. Democrats control the White House and the Senate and President Obama still has the ball in his court.

Dan Harder is a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, John Staskunas is a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Robert Campeau is a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences

• M

MAGAFeb 7, 2019 at 7:39 pm

When I was 12….I opened a lemonade stand and it was a hit! I need to get back into making lemonade.

• T

The Anti-Olive PartyJan 27, 2011 at 11:08 am

By saying that the Republican House will be successful in stopping “the liberal Obama agenda”, Jed is assuming that the Obama administration is going to continue to work to pass its “liberal agenda” through Congress. Both parties, I think, recognize that divided government means that no one gets all of what they want, and will act accordingly. The Republican House, for example, can’t do anything by itself about how executive branch’s agencies make rules, which could be one way for the Obama administration to govern the way it sees fit. At the same time, however, Obama will have to compromise with the House to pass a budget. When one considers the centrist tack Obama has taken in recent months and the variety of alternatives to legislation at his disposal, I’d say that he stands a good chance of being reelected. The Tea Party may be good at electing local candidates, but I agree with the authors in that a Tea Party or Tea Party-backed presidential candidate will not be nationally viable. That being said,
    Freedom is not free.
    The Anti-Olive Party.

• J

Jed BartlettJan 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

Dear Dan, Robert, and Jack:
    I do agree, somewhat, with your assessment of this situation. While Republicans may not be able to get any legislation past the Senate, their effort will do enough to stop the liberal Obama agenda. Not only will Obama lose the White House in 2012, many Senators are set to share in his fate. One of the notables is the senior Senator from Montana, Max Baucus. Another wave is coming and it will be at a shore near you on November 2012.
    Freedom is not free,
    Jed.