Sideshow

As much as you might hate the Marquette Tribune (online commenter R. W. Wright, I’m lookin’ at you), at least it’s not the Badger Herald, one of two student newspapers that serves the Wisconsin-Madison campus.

In the opinion section of the Monday edition, a list was compiled that would’ve made former Wisconsin Senator and infamous list-maker Joseph McCarthy proud.

The article following the list called those named “the worst people on campus” who “have a special place in Hell” reserved just for them because of their actions.

So what did they do? Did they push an 83-year-old, wheelchair-bound grandmother of 14 off a pier into Lake Monona? Did they leave a newborn puppy chained to a lamppost outside the capital building overnight? Surely it was something as reprehensible as these things.

Nope. These students, publicly besmirched by a respected media source, merely tried to sell their Rose Bowl tickets on Facebook Marketplace.

The university sold its 5,800-ticket allotment in 20 minutes, leaving hundreds of student supporters without the chance to get theirs unless they’re willing to pay admittedly exorbitant prices — most are listed around $400, more than double the $150 face value — from fellow students.

It’s a textbook case of the law of supply and demand that drives our capitalist economy.

I feel bad for people who tried to get seats from the university too late, but life is tough. Why shouldn’t second-hand sellers ask for more money if buyers are willing to fork it over?

Imagine if the Marquette Tribune tried to print names of people who sold their student tickets for Marquette basketball games at prices higher than face value, which works out to $5.55 per game. There wouldn’t be any room for news articles. Or my columns. And we can’t have that.

No, you might not always agree with Paco Nava, Erik Schmidt, Brian Harper or myself, but at least we’re not explicitly condemning you to hell. Score one for the Tribune.