Michalski: Give country music a chance

Here I am, a girl from suburban Boston, about to try to convince you why you should give country music a chance.

I’m not a diehard country fan, but I know a thing or two about music — enough to objectively write a column about country.

I grew up on oldies and classic rock, know every word of Fall Out Boy’s second album, listen to Yo Yo Ma when I study, attend Dave Matthews Band shows every summer, praise Passion Pit’s innovation and have paid money to see both Backstreet Boys and Lil Wayne in concert … separately, of course.

So hear me out on this country thing.

First of all, I’m not talking about the honky tonk, John Deere riding, Dukes of Hazzard type of country music.

I’m talking about the songs inspired by reality. Songs about love and heartbreak, happiness and sadness, family and friends — and the songs that simply tell you to have a good time.

These are the songs composed and belted by some of the best songwriters and vocalists in music. While some specific genre musicians can get away with lackluster vocal chords — cough, Ke$ha — country musicians like Carrie Underwood and Tim McGraw can sing.

And if you caught the Country Music Awards last week, especially Underwood’s performance of “Mama’s Song,” you could see just how much passion, emotion and conviction country artists sing with.

I’m sure many of you cringed just reading the word “country.” Well, once upon a time, so did I. Whenever I was asked what types of music I liked, I wholeheartedly responded, “Anything but country.” Sound familiar?

And when my freshman year roommate played Garth Brooks, I hid under my sheets listening to T.I.’s “Whatever You Like.”

Now I’m wondering, why did I even like that song so much? It’s catchy, has a good beat and I (really) like T.I. But “rubber band banks in my pocket” and “rides with rims and a body kit” definitely didn’t relate to my own life.

So, with the help of some country music fans and friends of mine, I began easing myself into country. I started with the basics: Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts. Then I was introduced to Sugarland and some Keith Urban. And before I knew it, several country songs, including Kenny Chesney’s “Out Last Night,” were sitting right next to “Whatever You Like” on my top played playlist.

And that leads me to my first country music concert: Darius Rucker, or as some of you may call him, Hootie (of the Blowfish).

When I walked in the door of the Riverside a few weeks ago, I quickly realized I forgot my cowboy hat, boots and plaid button-up — actually, I don’t even own those things.

But when Rucker came on stage, I forgot about that out-of-place feeling. The passion and conviction behind his voice and performance revealed a musician who truly lived and loved his lyrics.

And even though I don’t doubt that Birdman pops bottles like he won a championship game or that fat-bottomed girls really do make the rockin’ world go ’round, country musicians like Rucker connect to their audience. They sing about what is meaningful to them and what is duly important to their fans.

Oh, and if you’re looking for some music to blast in the summer while you drive around with the windows open, country music is beyond appropriate. There’s nothing like some Kenny Chesney or Zac Brown Band to make you forget about life’s stresses for a little bit and enjoy the simple things in life, like sunny weather, good friends and “a little bit of chicken fried.”

Yeah maybe this column doesn’t have you waiting in line for Brad Paisley tickets, but hopefully it’s convinced you to at least give country music a chance. What’s the worst that could happen?

So you catch some plaid fever, but at least it’s not fake grillz or broken bones from a raging mosh pit.