Editorial: Eckstein’s policy is fair; grad students deserve own space

Studying in Eckstein Hall can make anyone feel cool, but undergraduates studying on the third and fourth floors will have to find another space when the clock strikes 4 p.m.

Make room for the law students.

It’s understandable that undergrads are disappointed about the new policy. Eckstein is beautiful. It’s an architect’s dream come true. Eckstein Hall could be America’s next top model, but in the form of a building.

Eckstein Hall is new, state of the art and has all kinds of prime study space and comfortable seating.  The multimillion-dollar building also has the Tory Café, the law library, a work-out facility and a trial courtroom.

However, like all disappointments, you eventually accept it and move on. Take it with a grain of salt. Discover all the other suitable places on campus to study.

Eckstein Hall was built for law students. There is no reason why they shouldn’t be allowed to use Eckstein Hall freely, without congestion.

Graduate students, especially those studying law, finally have a place exclusively for them.

Before the opening of Eckstein, law students used Sensenbrenner Hall, which dealt with the same overcrowding issues occurring now. It is only fair that they have priority in the building created for their studies.

It would be unfair if a law student couldn’t find a place to study in Eckstein Hall because of undergrads overcrowding the building. They shouldn’t have to search for a place to study.

If high school students were allowed to use Raynor Library, many undergrads would probably feel that those students were intruding on undergraduate space.

Marquette’s policy is definitely more lenient than other schools, which sometimes prohibit undergrads from its law schools altogether.

Undergrads can still find ample space to study after 4 p.m. on the first and second floors of Eckstein Hall, and there are plenty of alternative study spaces that get the job done.

While the library is the most obvious choice for studying, many students might pass up the plethora of nooks and crannies that can be found on the Memorial side.

There are plenty of tables and desks scattered beyond the Raynor bridge and second floor. Taking a chance to explore the basement or the fourth and fifth floors might lead to a brand new reading space of your own.

The Brew Bayou in the Alumni Memorial Union is open to 11:30 p.m. for those who like a little background noise while they cram for a test. Marquette Place and Brooks Lounge are also open late and are perfect for study groups.

Many academic buildings have lounges for students to use, and Cudahy Hall has plenty of space and a computer lab that is open 24/7.

Students who want to get off campus to study can even take a quick bus ride to a quiet coffee shop in the Third Ward or Brady Street. And Milwaukee’s Central Library is right down the road on Wisconsin Avenue and Eighth street.

Enjoy Eckstein Hall during the allotted times and let law students have the place that was created for them.