Men’s Tennis Brief

The Marquette men’s tennis team finished up its fall season on Saturday with singles action at the Texas Invitational in Austin, Texas, where freshman Logan Collins and sophomore Octavio Perim led the team.

Collins, who owns a team best 11 singles wins this season, won twice on Friday, and beat freshman Erik Hjertonsson of Texas-Arlington before losing to former Marquette tennis player Jacob Strauss. Strauss, now a sophomore at Oklahoma, played at Marquette last year, was 25-10 as a freshman before transferring.

Perim also had two wins on Friday before falling in his first match on Saturday to freshman John Warden, also of Oklahoma. Warden went on to win the tournament, beating Strauss.

Other than Collins and Perim, five members of the Golden Eagles’ squad competed in the two-day tournament, including freshman Dan Mamalat, junior Jonathan Schwerin, junior Drake Kakar, senior Jose Manuel Munoz, and freshman Thibault Troude.

Of those five, only Mamalat, Kakar, and Schwerin were able to win their opening matches. All three fell in their second round matchups. Troude was able to bounce back from his opening round loss by advancing to the quarterfinals of the B draw consolation bracket.

The Marquette men competed three teams in doubles play with only Collins and Munoz advacing to the second round, where they fell to Alexis Klegou and Austin Klores of Texas A&M University.

The Golden eagles next pick up competition when they travel to Minnesota on Jan. 22 to battle with the Gophers. (MN)