Golden Eagles weather Red Storm

The Marquette men’s soccer team (7-7-4, 4-4-2 Big East) won its first-ever match in the Big East Championship with its 3-1 victory at St. John’s (10-5-2, 4-3-2) Wednesday night.

Senior defenseman Anthony Colaizzi was the hero with the game winner from 26 yards away in the 77th minute to put Marquette up 2-1. It was Colaizzi’s first goal of the season.

For good measure, junior midfielder Calum Mallace also added a goal from 26 yards out in the 79th minute to add to his team lead of six goals on the season.

Marquette marked the scoreboard first with a goal from junior midfielder Amilcar Herrera in the 13th minute. St. John’s answered with a goal of its own in the 42nd minute, forcing the game into a 1-1 tie at halftime.

Marquette entered the match as the No. 6 seed in the lower region of the Big East Championship bracket facing the No. 3 seed St. John’s. The Red Storm was the defending Big East tournament champion and on a four game winning and shutout streak entering the match—which included a 2-0 victory over then-No. 24 South Florida.

As its prize for victory, the Golden Eagles will play on the road at No. 2 seed Notre Dame (9-4-4, 6-2-1 Big East) this Saturday. In its one match against the Fighting Irish this season, Marquette lost 4-1 on Oct. 13 at Notre Dame.