Reader Submission: Tuesday’s Walker article biased

When I picked up the Tribune on Tuesday, I was shocked to read one of the most biased articles I’ve ever seen.

“Walker’s campaign record murky” by Brooke Goodman does not even attempt to remain neutral. The piece clearly favors gubernatorial candidate Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett (D), digging up irrelevant 20-year-old allegations against Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker (R) to distract from the real issues at hand in this election.

It’s not surprising a Barrett supporter would stoop so low, given that a recently released poll from a Democratic pollster showed him down eight points, but I have higher expectations for my campus paper.

Here are the facts: As Milwaukee’s mayor, Barrett raised taxes every single year in office. As a result, Milwaukee has the second worst record for job creation and is the fourth poorest city in the entire nation. Rather than suggesting solutions for Milwaukee or our state, he simply launches false attack after false attack against Walker.

Contrast that with Walker’s proven record as Milwaukee’s county executive. He has balanced the budget nine years in a row without raising taxes. Furthermore, he has a solid plan that will create 250,000 new jobs for Wisconsin to get our state back to work.

As a result, the momentum is behind Walker, not Barrett. It’s leading Barrett’s supporters to do desperate things and launch false attacks.

At a minimum, I’d ask that future political hit pieces like Goodman’s be confined to this paper’s editorial page and not be presented as “news.”

Kevin Raasch is a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences