Editorial: Bring more spirit-building events to campus

Homecoming is an American tradition that goes far back in collegiate history. Universities across the country show off their school spirit in a number of fall activities. Too bad Marquette isn’t one of them.

The question isn’t if Marquette students have school spirit, the question is where are the opportunities to show it off?

The point of a homecoming is to promote community and culture on campus through numerous events and activities. But the closest thing Marquette has to any type of homecoming event is Marquette Madness. And while it provides students with much-appreciated free T-shirts and an awesome dunk contest, it’s a poor excuse for a homecoming or campus-wide spirit-builder.

An hour or so before the doors of the Al McGuire Center open, fans wait in line, only to shuffle into their seats and then shuffle out of them two hours later. And for the past few years, this is what has defined Marquette’s pseudo-homecoming.

Let’s spice things up, Marquette. We should have a homecoming weekend that revolves around Marquette Madness, but also includes other campus activities and events. Games, music, food, contests and socializing are all aspects of a successful homecoming.

The annual freshman orientation week in August includes a number of events created to encourage students to converse and be active members of campus. A welcome back picnic and numerous entertainment acts bring students together as one Marquette community.

But after the last brat is eaten and O-Fest tables are closed up, Marquette’s campus-wide, spirit-raising activities are almost non-existent.

A block party or cookout could be successful as post-Marquette Madness student events that prolong campus-wide excitement after the weekend’s main event.

A campus pride parade down Wisconsin Avenue or a homecoming dance and court would all positively build a stronger sense of community. There could even be a “Spirit Day” when everyone dresses up in Marquette apparel and blue and gold colors.

Homecoming weekends are also known for taking advantage of enjoyable temperatures and mid-fall scenery. Before Milwaukee is hit with impending snowstorms and harsh winds, we should make the most of the pleasant weather while it’s here.

As a basketball school, Marquette Madness is the heart of our school spirit activities. But there should be a part of the weekend that gives other fall sports acknowledgment, too.

There are talented athletes who participate in soccer, tennis, golf, volleyball and cross country, but sports fans may overlook them with the excitement of basketball season.

A homecoming weekend would be the perfect opportunity to show appreciation for the entire Golden Eagles sports community, and not just basketball.

While other universities center homecoming around football, we should not be discouraged by our lack of a football team. We don’t need one to revel in our Golden Eagle spirit.

And Marquette can be an example of how to have an awesome homecoming without the traditional qualities of a football homecoming.

Marquette students are passionate about their sports, and a full house at the Al McGuire Center during Marquette Madness proves it. We have the school spirit and pride to match that passion, but we need more focused outlets than a one-night event to express those qualities.

Bring a homecoming weekend to Marquette.