Editorial: MU has room for sexual health education improvement

In the 2010 Trojan Brand Condom’s Sexual Health Report, Marquette earned less than perfect scoring in a number of categories.

Though we congratulate Marquette for receiving “B” grades for existence of lecture/outreach programs, existence of student peer groups and availability of assault programs, there are still improvements to be made.

Marquette earned a “C” in availability of separate sexual awareness programs, HIV testing, STI testing and website usability/functionality.

We acknowledge that, as a Catholic, Jesuit university, Marquette will stay consistent in its beliefs and traditions, which is why we won’t see distribution of condoms or oral contraceptives for pregnancy prevention purposes.

According to the Student Health Service’s website, “In keeping with the Catholic tradition regarding birth control, the Student Health Service does not dispense condoms or prescribe contraceptive medication.” A student can receive oral contraceptives for other medical reasons upon discussion with a “provider” at the center.

Student Health Service’s website provides students with a list of off-campus HIV and STD testing locations, as well as information on outreach programs and online services. The website also mentions the availability of STD “evaluation, testing and treatment,” but does not list the prices.

Becky Michelsen, a health educator at Student Health Service, said prices for these services are not on the site yet because it’s undergoing updates. But she said the cost for testing will vary.

Testing aside, it’s essential for Marquette to put more focus on sexual awareness programs and sexual education. According to 2009 National College Health Association data, around 64.9 percent of Marquette students were sexually active in 2009.

Tests and treatment for sexual diseases definitely benefit students, but information on how to prevent the contraction of STDs would help even more.

In order to receive pamphlets on sexual health, students must first go through Student Health Service. They first fill out a form requesting the informational pamphlets. After the forms are reviewed, students must attend a consultation about their sexual health concerns.

Michelsen says this process ensures students’ questions are answered efficiently.

Students should be able to receive pamphlets and free information on sexual health without having to go through a lengthy process involving discussion. Many students may not be comfortable talking about their sexual health concerns and simply want the facts.

While discussions with Student Health Services and the Center for Health Education and Promotion should be encouraged, they should be optional. If a student has concerns extending beyond factual pamphlets, he or she can meet with someone to discuss those concerns.

Courses or campus seminars specializing in sex education can give students the chance to ask questions in an open forum.

While Marquette’s beliefs are against the use of birth control, that should not stop the university from providing students with more resources on how to protect themselves from STDs and pregnancy. If students cannot receive condoms or oral contraceptives for pregnancy prevention, they should still be able to freely access sexual health information through forums or readily available pamphlets.

These programs are not encouraging students to have sex, but rather educating them so they can make thoughtful decisions should they choose to engage in sexual activities. Marquette needs to do more to assure students they are in an environment where, if help is needed, it can be acquired.

Marquette can promote a healthier, more aware campus community by retaining its Catholic ideals while still proactively supporting students’ sexual health education needs.

• P

Paco NavaOct 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

I think the board really forgot to address two major problems with the Trojan condom report: A. Why is a commerically interested, profit-seeking company like Trojan an authority for evaluating our campus’ sexual health policies? (Wouldn’t some other authority like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the a state or local health department be a more appropriate evaluator?) B. Why must the University itself be a supplier/educator for these sexual products and information? In today’s age of free, widespread information all over the internet, isn’t the case that students can learn about their sex choices elsewhere? How is it that in one case students are demanding privacy in their sex lives from moral authorities (like a Jesuit school), yet simultaneously they demand condoms, lubricants, cheap STD tests, and sex advice from their school? Doesn’t add up to me.