Angelo’s may be closing its tab

The Marquette campus watering holes may be drying up.

Angelo’s Pizza Restaurant & Bar’s future is uncertain after owner Mike Albano and Marquette reached a buyout settlement, according to Tim Olsen, communication manager in the Office of Marketing and Communication.

If Angelo’s does close, it will be the second campus bar to close this year, after Jim Hegarty’s Pub closed in the spring of 2010.

“The university was recently approached about a purchase of Angelo’s,” Olsen said in an e-mail. “There is an accepted offer to purchase the property at a reasonable cost.”

Olsen said the money for the purchase was drawn from the university’s capital reserves budget. Since the deal is not yet completed, the buyout amount could not be disclosed.

As of press time, the bar’s door was locked, all signs were unlit and no one was available to answer phone calls. The website indicated the bar was open from 11 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. on Mondays to Thursdays.

However, there is no official word on whether Angelo’s is closed for good.

The sale came about because of Albano’s plans of retiring, Olsen said. A source who worked at Angelo’s also said the owner had medical bills to pay.

Marquette Gyros’ property was also included in the sale of Angelo’s.  According to Olsen, this property was the only parcel of land on the south side of Wells Street and in between 16th and 17th streets the university did not yet own.

Olsen also said Marquette Gyros has “indicated its intent to continue leasing its premises.”

Student reaction to the news was mixed. Some were disappointed at the prospect of seeing the popular bar, affectionately known as “Blow’s,” close its doors for good.

“It’ll be a shock to see it go,” said Erin Fitzgerald, a sophomore in the College of Nursing. “It had a great campus hot-spot atmosphere to it.”

Steve Miller, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, was also a bit dismayed by the news.

“They had good food and (it) was a convenient place to go,” Miller said. “Friendly employees and a great place for quick drink made it a popular place.”

Others were quick to say good riddance.

“There’s plenty of other bars for students,” said Matthew McGonegle, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences. “It’ll be a little disappointing for some students, but overall not a huge loss.”

According to the website, Angelo’s was opened in 1956 and has been family-owned ever since.

Olsen said because the deal has not yet closed and was recently reached, any future plans will take time to materialize.

“The Office of Administration is in conversations with various parties regarding the operation of the pizza business,” Olsen said.