EDITORIAL: Be thorough with housing search

Even though sophomores are just settling into their second year, plenty of them are experiencing the excitement apartment hunting brings with it. And while many people are rushing to sign leases, do not be alarmed. There is plenty of space on and around campus for everyone.

But before you set out on your quest, we’ve got a few helpful tips.

The most important thing to remember when searching for housing is to take your time. Many students think it is a race to sign a lease, but signing for the first available apartment without a thorough or preliminary search is perhaps worse than waiting until the last minute.

Calling apartments or houses and simply comparing rates is a good start. Take a tour of the building. Even though an online photo gallery can give you an idea of what a place looks like, photos can be deceiving.

Schedule tours early so you can ensure you know what you’ll be paying for. While on a tour, it’s important to examine the utilities to make sure they work properly, and to ask questions.

As a prospective resident, find out how much utility fees cost, if cable and Internet are included in rent, and if heat or electricity are separate fees. Knowing these things in advance can save you a headache.

Make sure that when you do sign a lease, you’re only signing for one year. Things change between the time you move into your apartment and a year later. Finding yourself stuck in a leasing agreement may become an issue if your plans are not set in stone or if you simply don’t like where you’re staying.

Students who have been through the apartment hunt, or who live in the specific building you’re looking into, can also be helpful sources for tips and suggestions.

Ask current residents about their relationships with the landlord and floor neighbors. Find out if there are aspects of the building or lease you should know about. Does the building flood when it rains? Have there been problems with the heat or air working properly?

Aspects besides price can play into your housing choices as well.

Make sure you know if the apartment or house provides furniture. If it’s unfurnished, be prepared to scrounge for discount furniture, or buy some from someone else.

Proximity to campus is another quality many look for when apartment hunting.

Living further away than Campus Town might scare some students, but Marquette’s campus is safer than many parts of the city.

The Department of Public Safety’s Limos and Student Safety Patrol can safely transport you to your desired destination anytime.

Once you’ve finally decided where you want to live, take your potential roommates into consideration. Who you are living with is just as important as where you are living.

The perfect roommate should be someone you’re compatible with, and can peacefully spend a whole year with. Your best friend might not make your best roommate.

Before signing a lease, you should be aware of your roommates’ plans so you aren’t hit with a surprise if they decide to study abroad. Sit down with your landlord and roommates and discuss the policies, making sure everyone is in agreement.

Moving into an apartment or house is a huge step toward adulthood, but being prepared can ease the transition from the dorm to independent living.

Happy house hunting, Marquette!