Hitting the Marq: Murder Castle

The Alchemist will convert their theater into the very Murder Castle itself. Photo courtesy of Alchemist Theatre.

Chicago is known for a lot of firsts. The first skyscraper, the first nuclear reaction and even the first vacuum cleaner. But there’s one first the board of tourism might not be as likely to point out to the casual traveler: Chicago was also the home of H. H. Holmes, widely considered to be America’s first serial killer, who may have murdered as many as 100 women within a hotel later dubbed his “Murder Castle.”

Try sneaking that into a peppy brochure.

But while the tale of a late-19th century serial killer might not be fare for a tour guide’s spiel, it just might be (if you’ll pardon the pun) killer for the Alchemist Theatre and its latest show, “Murder Castle: The Chronicle of H. H. Holmes.”

Holmes’ murder spree began in 1893 when he opened his “castle” as a hotel for the Chicago World’s Fair. While the hotel may have appeared normal on the outside, Holmes designed a labyrinth of epic proportions to trap his victims indefinitely, allowing him to play with them cat-and-mouse style. Definitely not a five-star resort.

The Alchemist’s production looks to take on the spirit of the Murder Castle by utilizing every inch of space possible. In an inspired decision, they’ll be turning the adjacent and mutually owned Bay View Lounge into the Castle’s hotel lobby, where patrons check in to get their “room keys,” belly up to the hotel bar and can even play cards with some of Holmes’ contemporaries before the show.

Then, before the show starts, the audience will be taken down into the Murder Castle cellar itself for a tour. After that, promotional materials promise, they will finally make it to the theater itself — if they’re lucky.

The Alchemist has established a reputation in the Milwaukee area for quality experimental theater, and “Murder Castle” looks to be no exception.

If you’re up for a scare this October, give the Alchemist a shot.

“Murder Castle” will open its doors to guests Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from Oct. 7 to Oct. 30, and “rooms” will cost $15 a person. All shows begin at 7:30, but the Alchemist suggests arriving between 7:00 and 7:10 for pre-show entertainment.