Career Fair held at AMU tomorrow

Tomorrow at the Alumni Memorial Union, it’s every student for his or herself in a quest to meet a potential future employer.

The Career Fair, a biannual event that connects organizations and job recruiters with students, will take place at the AMU from 1 to 5 p.m. This year’s fair includes both technical and non-technical companies, with nearly 140 businesses and groups attending. Prior to this year, the two types of companies were separate.

Bethany Olson, career counselor and the coordinator of this semester’s Career Fair, said Marquette combined the technical and non-technical days to see if the event would run more smoothly. Students should expect to spend 30 to 60 minutes networking with professionals in their field, she said.

The Career Fair guidebook emphasized no student will get a job offer at tomorrow’s fair. Despite that, Olson recommended all students at least stop by and hand out a few of their resumes.

“It’s all about keeping in touch with contacts in the hopes that in the long run, something might come up,” Olson said. “That job interview you would hope to get is a great networking tool.”

The Career Fair is not equally balanced toward all majors, however. According to the Career Fair guidebook, just four communication companies will have tables at tomorrow’s event.

In contrast, engineering companies will have 44 tables, while business-related companies will have more than 75 on hand. Olson reiterated there are different strategies for businesses looking to meet the next generation of employees.

“Different fields recruit in different ways,” Olson said. “Communications is such a competitive field that they don’t feel the need to recruit at Career Fairs.”

In advance of the Career Fair, Career Services Center employees offered resume critiques in the AMU to better prepare students.

Marquette students expressed opposing views on the benefits of the Career Fair. While some suggested the fair is a great opportunity for interaction, others struggled to maximize the experience.

Ed Haberkorn, a junior in the College of Engineering, said he got absolutely nothing out of attending the Career Fair the last two years. Haberkorn said he doesn’t see the point of introducing himself to a bunch of random job recruiters since they probably wouldn’t remember his name anyway.

“The Career Fair is an environment conducive to awkward conversation,” he said. “It’s only beneficial if you have the right personality.”

Brett Bielanski, on the other hand, believes the Career Fair is a beneficial tool for staying in touch with companies he already knows.

Bielanski, a junior in the College of Business Administration, hopes to meet new company representatives and get his name out there Wednesday so he can find a job after graduating from Marquette.

“Since I’ve turned 21, I’ve definitely become more attuned to the fact that I’m going to need to get a real job in just over a year,” he said.